Importing users.

gajinoz

I'm not sure if this should be in pre sales or support, but I figured pre sales was appropriate.

On my current vB site I have around 300 users who have paid subscriptions which puts them into different user groups depending on which subscription they bought.

When I move from vB to xenforo what will happen to these users? I believe that the usergroups will import and the users will be placed in their appropriate groups but what will happen to their subscriptions? They are NOT recurring, they have to resubscribe every year. Will their subscription to that group continue and they will revert back to registered group at the end of their term, or will all subscriptions simply be cancelled and they will have to resubscribe again. It would be a major hassle for me to have to manually recreate subscriptions for 300 people so that they expired at the right time.

I hope that made sense!

Upgrades are imported but not recurring subscriptions.

I don't really understand the question though - you say they "are NOT recurring, they have to resubscribe every year" yet you then ask if "their subscription to that group continue and they will revert back to registered group at the end of their term, or will all subscriptions simply be cancelled and they will have to resubscribe again".

If the subscription is not recurring then it's not a subscription, it's a simple upgrade.

In XenForo, when an upgrade expires, any user group the member was promoted to as part of the upgrade, they will be automatically removed from.

I read the following ...

1. All members should be in the Registered group as their Primary - that includes moderators, administrators and super administrators.

2. Set the Registered user group to the minimum permissions you want all members to have. Set those permissions you want them to have to Allow, leave everything else at Not Set (No).
Do not use Never as it can't be overridden.

3. For any additional user groups, only change the specific permissions which differ from the settings in the Registered user group - all other permissions can be left at Not Set (No) - and add members to them as Secondary groups.

This sounds perfectly sensible however what happens if I import my vB forum into xenforo? The users there are not set up this way so many users have other usergroups as their primary, what will happen to them when they are imported?

The importer will map users into various user groups but we always recommend that user groups and permissions are checked after importing.

You can delete custom user groups and the members will default to the Registered user group, or you can use the Batch Update Users function to move them.

In XenForo, when an upgrade expires, any user group the member was promoted to as part of the upgrade, they will be automatically removed from.

OK, it's a difference in terms I guess, in vB if somebody pays and is upgraded it's called a subscription whether or not it automatically recurs or expires at the end of 12 months. What I'm trying to determine is if the upgrade that the user got when on vB will continue when imported to xenforo.

Maybe an example will help explain what I'm on about.

Let's say user Fred pays for a 12 month subscription, (or upgrade), to a different usergroup in vB. He has now moved from Registered group to Paid group.
6 months later ....
Fred is now 6 months into his upgrade.
The vB forum is now imported to xenforo.
Presumably Fred will be imported into the Paid usergroup created in xenforo during the import.

The question is: Will Fred's upgrade status, that is, 6 months into his upgrade, be carried over to xenforo and, at the end of another 6 months, he will automatically revert to the Registered group?

The answer is sort of dependent on the configuration of the (in XF terms) user upgrade. Users upgrades always add a secondary user group; nothing ever programmatically changes the primary user group. If you're changing the primary user group, you're doing something that XF can't replicate so the user group change component can't be imported; you would need to manually changes groups. If you're adding a secondary group, we do import that so when the upgrade expires, they will be removed from the group.

Looks like I'll be stuck with adjusting all the permissions for every usergroup, not a huge problem because I have to do that now. I can't revert everyone to registered because some of the custom groups have users that have paid to be in them. Trying to put all of them back into their appropriate groups would be a nightmare.

I guess I'll have to wait until I do a test import to see what actually happens. I'll set up a user in vB with a paid upgrade in the normal way but set to expire a couple of days after I do the test import and see what happens to him.

You really should as that's how the system has been designed.

You can add members to secondary user groups as required.

Yep, that would certainly be the ideal but can you imagine then going through 300 or more members and adding them to the appropriate secondary group and, at the same time, working out how long they still have on their paid upgrade before they automatically reverted to registered. I'm not sure I will live that long. :)

I'll just wait until I do the test import and see what happens.

Top Bottom