1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Importing to temporary folder and later to premanent one

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Peterxf, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Peterxf

Peterxf New Member

I have VB 4.2 installed in mydomain.com/forum
    I created a TEST folder (mydomain.com/test) and installed XF there and I am going to upload the database from my VB there.

How can I later move the TEST folder/installation to the FORUM folder.
    I think I have to get rid of the VB installation first.
    If I rename the TEST folder to FORUM(of course, I have to change the current FORUM folder with Vbulletin to a different name).
    I read that I have to later change URL in XF pane and also some things about redirection which I do not fully understand.
    Do I have to create somewhere .htaccess?, write something in it? if yes what? etc.

Is it a good way to preform converting from VB to XF I am doing now or is it other better way?

I also read something about restarting server. I am on a shared hosting so I do not think this is possible there. So what I have to do if I must do that?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Move the files, update the Board URL in the ACP.
  3. Peterxf

Peterxf New Member

Just this?
    Don`t I have to think about .htaccess, restarting server etc.?
    By move the file you mean paste them into mydomain.com/forum and get rid of vbulletin files from that location?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You won't need redirects as you're just doing an import in a temporary location.

Literally you need to do the following:

1. Archive (or delete) the vB installation from domain.com/forum
    2. Move the XenForo installation to where the vB installation was (domain.com/forum)
    3. Update the Board URL in the ACP

In rare cases, a server restart may be required but generally not.
  5. Peterxf

Peterxf New Member

A few problems.

New Profile Posts (on my forum home page) for some reason show older posts e.g. from April while I have posts from this month).

After the transfer from vbulletin all works but I noticed that some pages are not showing on Xenforo e.g.: Privacy statement, Terms of Use,
    Also, I had a small blog page on VB and I do not see it now.
    Can I find those pages somewhere and set up?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  6. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Correct, just rename the current vBulletin forum folder to "forumsold" or something like that.
  7. Peterxf

Peterxf New Member

thanks Andy I have done import. By chance do you know reply to my last post which I have just pasted?
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Can you point us to one of those profile posts? I have looked around a bit but haven't seen any. (I also don't see the new profile posts on the forum list.)

I'm not sure what these pages are that you're referring to (as in, how they were created), but I don't think any pages would be imported. (You also mention "blog page" but I'm not sure if you're referring to blogs, but they wouldn't be imported either.)