XF 2.0 Importing from vBulletin 5 in XenForo 2.0.0

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
While there is a vBulletin 5 importer included with XenForo 2.0.0, various significant bugs have been discovered in some of its steps, so I'd suggest holding off on any final migration until the release of XenForo 2.0.1, which includes fixes for all the known bugs, and additional steps to import more of the available data.

While there is a vBulletin 5 importer included with XenForo 2.0.0, various significant bugs have been discovered in some of its steps, so I'd suggest holding off on any final migration until the release of XenForo 2.0.1, which includes fixes for all the known bugs, and additional steps to import more of the available data.
Do you know when Xenforo 2.0.1 is going to be released?

I'm doing my first import into XenForo 2.0.1 from a fairly large VB5 instance. I know the importer is still beta but curious if you've experienced it hanging at all.

The databases are on the same [dedicated] server and in the same instance of MySQL.

It's been at Step 14 of 26: Threads - [67,208] 7.12% for some time (hours). Trying to leave it alone but not sure how long we should give it to complete.

The forum size is:
Topics: 61,580
Members: 43,871

36 hours later and I'm at Step 14 of 26: Threads - [67,604] 7.16%

Clearly, something isn't working well so any thoughts or insights would be much appreciated.

That is certainly bugged, though it does appear to be progressing slightly, which is often unexpected with this sort of thing. (I'd note that this is certainly far slower than would be expected.)

Can you submit a ticket? I think we would likely potentially need to access a copy of the database to do testing. The importers in XF2 are generally all considered to be betas due to the often unexpected data we run into in production databases.

That is certainly bugged, though it does appear to be progressing slightly, which is often unexpected with this sort of thing. (I'd note that this is certainly far slower than would be expected.)

Can you submit a ticket? I think we would likely potentially need to access a copy of the database to do testing. The importers in XF2 are generally all considered to be betas due to the often unexpected data we run into in production databases.

Ticket sent. Thanks Mike and let me know what other info/data I can provide.

@vsellis I'ld recommend using the CLI importer I've noticed using the web-based importer is massively slower due to the (unavoidable) per-request overhead.
Thank you.. I had overlooked that there even was a CLI importer. I'm going to have to redo the import anyway since too many conversations will be lost at this point (it's still running). So I'll give that a spin.

I would also like to add that we encountered the same "bug" when attempting to import a VB4 forum into XF2. I posted up the details here - https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf2-01-import-from-vb4.139907/

We are about to attempt the final migration but we will be using the Big Board Importer and a multi-step process - VB4 to XF1.5, do some cleanup and assignments and then upgrade to XF2.01.
Let us know how it goes.. would love to hear the results. Going to try the CLI importer tomorrow and see how that goes.

Top Bottom