Importing from 3.8.x

Chimpie

I'm in the middle of the import process. So far it's been pretty painless.

The board I'm importing has over 266k posts, so I'll be stuck at this point for awhile.

How's everyone else doing today?

Well, I updated my vB4.0.8 to 4.1.0p2 and it took me 30 minutes.
I could have updated 10 XenForo sites in that time. :)

yeah, i've been running a test forum for awhile. upgrades have been amazing easy.

import and caches have been rebuilt including the search index. took less than two hours.

None of our avatars transfered over and we lost five forums.
On my import I lost a lot of avatars too but come to think about it, I did not import on the same server.
I forget. Are avatars stored in a file system or the database in vBulletin?

I believe they are usually stored in the database, but "to speed things up" they were moved to a directory. I think that might be part of the problem.

Not sure what to do about the lost forums.

Is there anything different about the 5 missing forums?

Are they private/hidden?
Have strange titles?

You can check the node permissions.

Any with non-standard permissions will be emboldened.

Clicking on them will then show the usergroups with different permissions, again emboldened.

This might be the first thing I really don't like about XF... but for now I'll say that it's because I haven't learned it yet.

For example: Looking at our forum section General CL Chat. It should only be viewable by the Administrative team. (note: General CL Chat is one that is not showing up)

So I go to AdminCP > Display Node Tree > Node Permissions > General CL Chat > Administrative

Everything is listed as Inherit.

So I would want to check on the User Group Permissions for Administrative?

The quickest and easiest way to make a node private is to set it as a Private node.

Then you just have to explicitly grant access to it.

Right, but I need to get a process down to check and set permissions for the entire forum.

I can easily fix this, but I want to learn the right way so I can check the rest of the forums.

The permissions seem complicated at first but once you realise how they work, it's very easy.

Essentially Default means no or not set, Allow means yes and Deny means Never.
Permissions are cumulative so just keep adding members to each group with the permissions you want to grant them.
So set your basic permissions for the registered user group.
Then any additional groups just set the permissions which are different and their total permission set will be the combination of all groups.

Node permissions have one other thing called Revoke.
You can use that for example to remove posting permissions for a particular group from one node.

These two threads might help:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...r-as-staff-and-create-secret-moderators.7987/

Top Bottom