Import from vbulletin 3.8 to xenforo dilemma

TNCclubman

Here's my dilemma.

I dont want to wait until xF gets a user album system but I also dont want to lose all my 100,000 photos on vbulletin user albums...

When can I come over to xenforo?

Now, and convert everything except the photos (will I be able to bring the photos seperately later on?)
or is it possible to import everything AND the photos into a forum called 'User Albums' that creates a post (album name) started by (album owner)?

Can the xenforo import script be modified to do this? If not will there be a seperate import script to import albums only once xF gets user albums?

I have seen it stated before that they don't support incremental imports (i.e. importing albums later when/if it's supported). Of course anything is possible with some custom development, but if you aren't a programmer then you would have to contract with some one.

I like your idea of importing albums as posts in a separate forum.

So long as you don't click 'Complete Import', you can resume an import at any point in the future. I never used it nor some of the other buttons on my live board and have no issues.

It is possible to modify the import script to do what you say, but you don't have to worry about it for now. You can import using a modified import script like you say, a custom gallery mod or even an official gallery if one becomes available at any point in the future.

Gonna have to wait then. Sucks as I know my people on that website will go coocoo for cocoa puffs when they see xF in action. Hope none of my direct competitors get it first or it will look like im copying them lol

you mean get a vB script to convert the user albums into threads on my vb forum? I dont think its going to make sense to our members since they already have albums.
If it were me, I would investigate what it would take to copy the pictures into another forum and how well that would work on your vb forum. That forum would not need to be visible to the regular members, better yet do the experiments/moving on a test site. It might be possible to do something via phpmyadmin, I really don't know at the moment.

Perhaps Jake could write an article ;)

is it possible to import everything AND the photos into a forum called 'User Albums' that creates a post (album name) started by (album owner)?
The 4.x converter that's around here somewhere does that. It imports albums into an admin-only forum. I doubt it's worth upgrading to 4.x first just to gain that function, but if it exists in that import script it should be possible to tweak the function somewhat and add it to the 3.x import script.

Even with that though, I don't know how easy it would be to move those album threads into some future album system. I kind of suspect the albums that I imported will just remain in that orphan forum forever. Or until I delete them.

The 4.x converter that's around here somewhere does that. It imports albums into an admin-only forum. I doubt it's worth upgrading to 4.x first just to gain that function, but if it exists in that import script it should be possible to tweak the function somewhat and add it to the 3.x import script.
The vb4 importer is basically the xf vb3.7/3.8 importer with some additions. I would be interesting to see what happens if a vb3.8 database is imported with that.

glad to know it may be a tweak that is offered for vb 3.8 at some point. thanks for giving me hope!
Just to be clear, I'm not aware of anyone who is intending to modify the 3.x importer to introduce that functionality.

I believe the point that was being made is it should be possible to do that.

Top Bottom