1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import from phpBB with PostgreSQL

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by fredrikse, Nov 19, 2012.

1. fredrikse

fredrikse Active Member

Hi,

I wonder if it's possible to import a forum running phpBB on PostgreSQL?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The importer is programmed for a MySQL source only.

Custom development is required to support PostgreSQL. Or you could try to convert your database to MySQL. I don't know if that's possible or not. I have never worked with Postgre.

3. fredrikse

fredrikse Active Member

The thing here is that I'm going to host a couple of forum sections in my forum. My friend here runs the forum on PostgreSQL. I found this:

http://www.lightbox.ca/pg2mysql.php

I tried to convert the database. But when I was going to import it into MySQL I got an error. I will have to investigate this further to see what's possible.

4. fredrikse

fredrikse Active Member

Finally I managed to import the PostgreSQL database into a newly created installation of phpBB. From this point I'm going to import phpBB into Xenforo. But when I use the import module after filling out the form I get this error:

I have tried different paths to get it right but I seem to get it wrong no matter how I write it. How should I refer to the path which looks like this:

5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Use the full server path.

Visit admin.php?tools/phpinfo and search the page for "DOCUMENT_ROOT". That will reveal the full server path.

fredrikse likes this.
  6. fredrikse

fredrikse Active Member

phpinfo helped me get the correct path. What I missed in the path was "public_html". The original database was in PostgreSQL format. My work around here was to install a new instance of phpBB and import the previous backup. The database format was now MySQL compatible. The rest of the import into Xenforo worked without a problem :)