XF 1.4 Import causes me to be logged in as different user

Mr Lucky

I have done a test vbuuletin import into a new xenforo installation.

The problem is halfway through the import I suddenly find I am looged in as a different member of the vbulletin forum.

I guess this may be because my user ID is 1 in the new forum, and the other user is ID 1 in the old vbulletin forum. He is also a superadministrator in the vbulletin forum

Do I need to worry about this?

This is roughly expected for user ID 1. Note that we don't import absolutely all of the information for this user. Specifically, we keep the password and email that you specified when you setup XF. You can change those later if you wish.

Aha. The problem is that the user 1 who is imported can no longer log in, presumable because they adopted my password from when I set the xenforo forum up.

And the request password change didn't work apparently.

Edit: just found out he didn't try that.

I just tried another test import, this time was a disaster. I became logged in as the other user, my account disappeared and all my posts were merged into his.

Please can you advise on how to do this, thanks?

It's really a limitation with trying to maintain IDs because it has to overwrite an existing user. It doesn't actually come up very often.

You can workaround it so some degree by ensuring that when you do the initial setup, you don't use an email that exists from where you're importing (you can blank it out). You can then reset the details (including admin status) for user 1 after the import.

Top Bottom