Implement AVIF image support

JackieChun

There was another suggestion from 2 years ago that was closed for lack of interest, included below for reference.

Now that all browsers and OS's have implemented AVIF support, and both Google and Apple have thrown their weight behind it, it should be considered for XenForo. Site loading times and performance would be improved, especially for styles that use JPEG or PNG backgrounds.

Upvote 9
I wonder if WEBP is more the way to go. What's the minimum PHP spec going to be for 2.3?

Looks like Edge doesn't support AVIF either.

Last edited:
It's available for Edge canary users (and even then it's disabled by default), but it is not available at all in the release version. Additionally Safari support is relatively new (and there are no true alternative browser engines on iOS, only Safari wrappers).

I do feel for Edge users, but every other browser works, including Opera, Brave, and Safari. I have already changed a background image on a XenForo forum from jpg to avif and got a file size reduction from 290 KB to 50 KB with no visible quality degradation. It's a game-changer, and I don't plan on going back.

Edge users will get no background picture until the feature gets into stable builds, which means faster loading times for them in the meantime. Everybody wins.

Defo support AVIF. The wider the format support the better.

It's currently really inconvenient without webp support, so 2.3 which has it, can't come soon enough.

Edge isn't that bad a browser. I switched FROM Chrome TO Edge, since it uses a little bit less ram than Chrome does. It meets my needs, and the tablet app has a permanent desktop toggle that's easy to enable.

I do feel for Edge users, but every other browser works, including Opera, Brave, and Safari. I have already changed a background image on a XenForo forum from jpg to avif and got a file size reduction from 290 KB to 50 KB with no visible quality degradation. It's a game-changer, and I don't plan on going back.

Edge users will get no background picture until the feature gets into stable builds, which means faster loading times for them in the meantime. Everybody wins.
Even if it doesn't support it now, I'm patient, and can wait. Edge is actually a decent browser these days IMO, since it renders with the chromium engine but uses less resources than Chrome did for me. Can also run Chrome addons, so no issues there.

If site loading time and performance matters, do not use image backgrounds. Just an idea.

That's a brilliant idea. Even better, don't use images at all, and also try to avoid CSS and javascript. Load text pages with gray backgrounds for optimum performance 👍

You guys have to quit living in the early 2000s. We have fiber these days… get creative and style up your sites 😛

Top Bottom