Add-on IMDB Info Grabber as BBCODE

That's a good look...

Hopefully I can find a coder in the meantime to help me with this one task...otherwise there isn't anything to test....it displays just fine and can be styled in anyway you want as it is now...the data retrieval works 100% already. My problem is with something technical I want to do to make this not effect page load times almost at all comparatively.

I keep getting distracted by stewart1champ's Gangnam Style icon everywhere I go, so... I have to ask... what is the technical thing you want to do?

Did any contact happen? I could really use this add-on for my site...

Thanks for the link....my problem is actually db stuff...the imdb thing I already have done and working as a standalone page/form.

I was asking because I was going to look into it. I hadn't heard anything recently, even after Chris had asked you about it. Wasn't sure what was going on.

Thanks for the link....my problem is actually db stuff...the imdb thing I already have done and working as a standalone page/form.

Would you not be interested in releasing what you have? Chris has offered/asked... not sure what other devs are doing at the moment. Not sure any know the amount of time even needed for the task, so that might be why there is little interest thus far.

Would you not be interested in releasing what you have? Chris has offered/asked... not sure what other devs are doing at the moment. Not sure any know the amount of time even needed for the task, so that might be why there is little interest thus far.
I don't really want to share what I have until it is done...accomplishment kind of thing...I just need something so I can finish my version of this friggin thing already.

I know what I need to do will not be that straight forward and quick to explain with me going on my merry way and I know Chris is busy as I have contacted him on another matter...in gauging the situation, his time is probably better spent doing something else.

However...if you like this userland created api http://imdbapi.org/ (which looks to be alright as far as I can tell) I can probably make a bbcode out of this quite easily but I need to at least finish the steps I am on with this one first which is what I am currently working on. Maybe I can do it this weekend (probably Saturday morning tbh) with some basic styling, from there people can customize it however they want to match their site...I would just hope people will keep links back to imdb as they do make their dataset available online which is a good look and so is returning the favor.

Probably the best I can do here with this one.

Yeah, you're pretty much going to get zero interest from any developer unless they know what it is?

I can only assume from what you've said it's some sort of caching mechanism so IMDB isn't contacted on every single page load for each BB Code?

Whatever it is, it will probably be worth you mentioning it so that some developer might see it and think "yeah, I can do that". Right now, no one has any idea what they'd be getting into.

What is it you need? You mentioned it a couple times, but no one knows.... Kinda confused here...
Well if I wanted to make what I needed help with public I would have...I know already that it is not something fast like tell me and it's done...and someone else doing it doesn't help me....I dont run a forum...I learn to code...handing it off means I have done nothing, not to mention...I don't know how to describe what I want to do so there is no way I am committing it to text even though spoken aloud I can clearly describe what I am lacking...granted that it would take me 20 minutes and that is spoken....it would take me half a friggin day to lookup all the terms I would need to know just to ask the question properly in a textual format.

I did say I can make a bbcode for you with that user created api and I can do that in a couple of hours...I just wont have the time until this weekend to complete it to the point that it can be shared. If you want me to do that lemme know so I can plan my weekend accordingly.

I can only assume from what you've said it's some sort of caching mechanism so IMDB isn't contacted on every single page load for each BB Code?
Yes but not so much a cache thing...more a local db thing...don't worry about it though...I don't want it done for me...I want to learn how to do it myself so I can continue with making more complex bbcodes and such...not just this one...besides if I am going to monopolize a developers time I am going to be doing it for a fee for something that I need created in order for me to start the site I have planned as without it...my planned site will have no purpose at all and therefor I wont really have a site...I will have what I have now...a bunch of domains and a crapload of dirs with pages of random code.

I thank you for the offer...but seeing as someone already created an api...there is no need for me to finish mine with the intent to offer a free service and that is simply because it already exists...which lets me go back to finishing the addon when I learn to do so because the people here can have their imdb bbcode using the API (which I can always update down the road to use the local storage method) and I can continue being stubborn yet everyone still wins...

Sooooo I went the API route (a crap load of them actually) and have the basics done at this point...just need to style it add the trailer player + the bonus feature (if I end up making that feature public) and release the bbocde for it.

Anyone interested in seeing it and making suggestions (noting that I have not done anything but the basic styling so I know where everything will be getting placed) please let me know. I would also entertain some ideas for buttons that this uses.

It is going to be offered with two possibly three options for layout of the data and I may also allow for some customization of the styling (colors borders and fonts and the likes). Any requests for this should be given now before I get too far ahead of myself.

Please don't ask to see it if you are not interested in providing feedback as to the overall look, if that be the case just be patient for a short while longer and then download the bbcode from the link which I will update this thread with when it is complete.

Last edited:
Sooooo I went the API route (a crap load of them actually) and have the basics done at this point...just need to style it add the trailer player + the bonus feature (if I end up making that feature public) and release the bbocde for it.

Anyone interested in seeing it and making suggestions (noting that I have not done anything but the basic styling so I know where everything will be getting placed) please let me know. I would also entertain some ideas for buttons that this uses.

It is going to be offered with two possibly three options for layout of the data and I may also allow for some customization of the styling (colors borders and fonts and the likes). Any requests for this should be given now before I get too far ahead of myself.

Please don't ask to see it if you are not interested in providing feedback as to the overall look, if that be the case just be patient for a short while longer and then download the bbcode from the link which I will update this thread with when it is complete.

Not sure if anyone has volunteered or not... I'll take a look at it.

Top Bottom