Not a bug Images sideways

billybatz9

I dont know if this is a bug or not....

Everytime I try to upload an avatar from my phone (iphone).... the image gets uploaded sideways, not straight up.

IOS devices have always had that quirk.. Im certain it has nothing to do with XF and everything to do with Apple..

It's general exif rotation stuff - which we don't have support for. The image is actually oriented the way you see it, it's just rotated when displayed.

what about other phones? Anyone have any problems with their images getting uploaded from other phones?
Android devices seem to handle this just fine.. I take pictures from my android daily and post them to my forum with no need to rotate anything and i take 99% of my pictures in landscape orientation... However that doesnt mean much because apparently my forum does a lot of magical things that nobody else s does.

The same thing stands for video by the way, it's also rotated with meta information, the video itself always has the same orientation no matter how you're recording.

I had reported this issue myself awhile ago.

Since the images go through GD or ImageMagick, I would think there is some option when processing a file that would let either of these rotate the image to its proper orientation.

I know it's not a bug in XF per se, but it is a serious issue since unfortunately, many are accessing our big board and other forums of mine with ios products and many of their images are oriented incorrectly. Part of the key to adopting a "responsive" view is to provide the desktop experience on a mobile device, and if a user can't upload an image they've just taken, that defeats the purpose of having image attachments for many of our users.

This might be relevant in ImageMagick:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/photos/#orient

...provided they implement it correctly, and ios is not doing something non-standard.

Last edited:
Android devices seem to handle this just fine.. I take pictures from my android daily and post them to my forum with no need to rotate anything and i take 99% of my pictures in landscape orientation... However that doesnt mean much because apparently my forum does a lot of magical things that nobody else s does.

That didn't work for me--on my Thunderbolt, any image I'd taken in landscape mode was oriented on its side. A shame, since most of my pics were that way from a trip I took. But that was on Gingerbread, not Jelly Bean. (I've since upgraded the T-Bolt to ICS, so I might try it again.) Could be they fixed something in the OS?

Here is a Resource which explains how to fix this problem. I know it works for regular image uploads for posts, but I have not tested it on avatar uploads.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/auto-image-orientation-for-iphone-and-ipad.1755/

Sweet! Thanks!

We do have ImageMagic on the server, so your script should work fine. However, I just hope exec will run it, as our web server runs as user "nobody" and I don't know if it would throw an error or not. Good to see a fix, regardless!

We do not yet have IM installed via PECL for use in PHP. I don't know if I would gain any advantage currently by having it installed, although I might be able to "hack" the compression level to make the image sizes a bit smaller.

No, avatars are fine with us...but the uploaded images are where we are seeing a lot of abuse, and if it helps us save storage space (especially with the thumbnails), it's all good. Not a very high priority item, but it's nice to know it's there if I want to change it.

I know this is not a suggestion-thread...... but giving the user the option to "turn" his Avatar-image by 90 degrees would easily fix this issue.....

A neat add-on idea might be a small-scale image editor: crop, rotate, lighten and darken, and that's it. But it would be tricky to incorporate it in the middle of the existing upload function.

Top Bottom