XF 2.2 Image size limit tips please

Alvin63

My new forum is very image heavy - members sharing photos a lot. It appears the maximum upload file size is just over 1mb in the ACP. I read elsewhere on here that it's possible to increase that to say, 10mb, per file. And that the forum resize will then automatically resize images. Is that correct? If so I would like to increase the maximum file size because members find it annoying having to try and resize their images before uploading (and some struggle with the technical aspects of trying to do that).

Are there any downsides to increasing it to 10mb? I would it slow the site down for example.

There are some add-ons out there for resizing as well

And Cloudflare (albeit the pro plan) do imagine

Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 20.00.05.webp

Larger images use more disk space and also take longer to load......

There are two things to consider.

• File size of the image (in MB)
  • Dimensions of the image (in pixels)

Images larger than the defined pixel size (in ACP) will be resized (which also reduces the file size in MB)
Images smaller than the defined pixel size won't be so as along the file size (MB) is within the parameters then they will get posted.

Are there any downsides to increasing it to 10mb? I would it slow the site down for example.

Large file sizes do cause slow pages (see above). 10MB is huge and is not going to be good for many people, including Google!

There are sites that will help you:

Ok I don't understand the Cloudflare imagine resize thing. So does it mean members can upload any image size file and cloudflare will automatically optimise it?

1st: Allow up to 10MB or even 20MB; it doesn't matter if you follow this guide.
1666552062162.png

2nd: Set the max pixel dimensions to something like this or lower, like 1080.
1666552107839.png

3rd:
Install and configure this addon:

Mine are set to 65% quality for PNG and JPG.
Still better quality than Facebook optimizes its images.

It's frustrating for your users to not be able to upload images, especially captured from smartphones that usually have a 5-10MB file size.
After doing the 3 steps above, PNG or JPG images should always be below 500KB, stored on your server, and served to your users.

1st: Allow up to 10MB or even 20MB; it doesn't matter if you follow this guide.
View attachment 275459

2nd: Set the max pixel dimensions to something like this or lower, like 1080.
View attachment 275460

3rd:
Install and configure this addon:

Mine are set to 65% quality for PNG and JPG.
Still better quality than Facebook optimizes its images.

It's frustrating for your users to not be able to upload images, especially captured from smartphones that usually have a 5-10MB file size.
After doing the 3 steps above, PNG or JPG images should always be below 500KB, stored on your server, and served to your users.
Thank you. That article mentions a paid Clouflare option as well. Is that an alternative to using an addon?

noddy GIF

That made me laugh, havent heard noddy for ages

That add-on resizes originals by the look of it so if the add-on becomes unsupported and has to be disabled only new images would need to be resized as the old ones have been done if you get my drift

Top Bottom