XF 1.2 Image / Attachment Resizing - Existing and New

Disciple of Nagash

Hi,

I am working on my testsite at the moment, evaluation XF.

One of the main things I have realised from my old setup, is that some of the attached images are ridiculous - one is at 7.6MB! Silly old settings.

The thing is that I don't really want to reject users uploading pictures outright, I would just like to resize them if possible - like for example this does online: [url]http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx[/URL]

Doing a test with this resized the image to 908KB will no visible degradation in quality, even looking full page on a 24" monitor.

So what I am looking is if any of the following is possibly either via addon / code modification etc:

• User can upload images of any size BUT the get resized. I have tried looking around for any recommended max dimensions - that optimisation link recommends 1200 width and 900 height?
  • Secondly I want to run this retrospectively which should have a huge impact on my forum file size.
  • Finally is there a way to have images automatically fully display in the post, rather than having to manually select to do so - I am thinking of using one of the addons which converts linked images to attachments so I am looking at it carrying out the following process:
Linked image > Addon downloads and converts to attachment > resize as per above if larger > attached image fully displays in post.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

DoN

Ok, so I have solved point one by myself - altered my new VPS settings to allow large files to be uploaded, but the attachment resizer in the AdminCP works perfectly.

So does anyone know how to run this retrospectively, and display images as default?

Have you -or anyone else- figured this out? I have the same problem. I initially had stupidly big limits for my attachments (or no limits at all) until i figured out how the limits work. Now I have proper limits but I have thousands of attachment images that are many megabytes in size.

Any idea how to resize them all based on current limits?

I do have shell access but i'm not that proficient with server stuff, I don't want to mess it up. Will xenforo handle the size change fine? For example no changes needed in the database?

I do have shell access but i'm not that proficient with server stuff, I don't want to mess it up. Will xenforo handle the size change fine? For example no changes needed in the database?

That's above my head. Hopefully someone will come by with more knowledge of how XF handles attachments.

I did speak to @AndyB about this, and he said that he would be able to look into this, although he was working on other things at the time so there might be a delay. It was a little while ago so I am not sure if it has been started yet.

Top Bottom