iMac for gaming? Heat output?

For gaming with Mac OS, I think I'd have to recommend visiting http://www.insanelymac.com/ and researching the best possible components for building a hackintosh with high performance PC components and use that.

I'm actually thinking about doing this with my new gaming rig I'm planning to build at the end of the year. Would give me the nice chance to dual boot it and still have a very good development rig at home I can use on the mac side and have a gaming machine that can run stuff from both OS's.

Where to go for hackintosh advice these days? My 2007 imac sure as hell won't run Skyrim in November! I'd like a gaming machine and want teh ability to boot OSX, but can't afford a whole new mac.

EDIT: Answered in the posts above mine >_<

No, it's the early 2008 model that preceded the Nehalem generation. I've read plenty of reports stating its compatibility with the 5770.
Oh great. Didn't know that. Apple's always a little silent about compatibility with older models. :( Shame.

All the ones I listed are games that are for comp only. That you don't like them is besides the point, they are all going to be top of the line games that are highly praised for innovative gameplay.
For each game you listed I can name 10 that are console only. It doesn't mean a thing. If you think the PC as a gaming platform is as strong as it was 5 years ago, good on you.

My poor 2008 Mac Pro is still saddled with a pair of the ghastly ATI Radeon HD 2600 video cards, which is the computing equivalent of topping-up your glass of vintage champagne with tomato ketchup.

They're really not doing awfully well under Lion, and I'm putting serious consideration to replacing them with the Radeon HD 5770 cards that are available for the 2010 Mac Pro, if only to avoid the 5 second lag between activating Mission Control and seeing anything actually happen.
I replaced those two HD 2600 cards with a pair of HD 5770 cards this week. What a difference! My Mac Pro flies again, and Lion is extremely slick.

Apple has gradually improved the graphics hardware on the iMac. Today, in raw performance, an iMac with a quad-core i7 processor can actually match the Mac Pro except for the rare app that can exploit the value of lots of processor cores. As for games, you should check the reviews at, say, Macworld to see how it handles current titles. If you're not a "game freak," you'll find that your favorite titles are almost always playable with many of the important features enabled.

Just FYI.

Top Bottom