I'm Fiending For A Good Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novel Series

Yeah, otherwise the discussion will get this thread locked.... enticing fantasy.. rape... seriously? yeah.. let's just agree to disagree at this point.

Eh, for the record, I did NOT say, in any fashion, that rape fantasies are enticing, lol. But good idea, let's go on to the next book. :)

Oooooookay! Back to book lists.

I've mentioned Brandon Sanderson before and he has a couple more you should read. First, try the "Mistborn trilogy". Ignore the fourth book which feels shoehorned in.

And then there's "The Way of Kings". Whoo boy. This is a meaty book. Like 1000+ pages meaty. But it's a well-done book. Too bad it's the first book in what's supposed to be about a 10 book series. I was tempted to not pick it up because of this, but I did and I'm glad. Each book will be eagerly awaited for, but man is this gonna take some time to finish!

Oooooookay! Back to book lists.

I've mentioned Brandon Sanderson before and he has a couple more you should read. First, try the "Mistborn trilogy". Ignore the fourth book which feels shoehorned in.

And then there's "The Way of Kings". Whoo boy. This is a meaty book. Like 1000+ pages meaty. But it's a well-done book. Too bad it's the first book in what's supposed to be about a 10 book series. I was tempted to not pick it up because of this, but I did and I'm glad. Each book will be eagerly awaited for, but man is this gonna take some time to finish!

Is that by Brandon Sanderson as well?

Stephen R Lawhead's The Song of Albion series.. (oh my gods, you're making me think of series I haven't read for years.. i can see some revisiting going on this year). These are great if you like Celtic mythology. Also his Pendragon Cycle (which is based around Arthur, Merlin, Uther, Talieson the Bard).

Agreed, the Song of Albion series is a great one, I'd certainly recommend it to fantasy fans.

I read The Way of Kings and thought overall it was very good. I wasn't too keen on some of his magic system in the book, but I'll definitely continue on with the second one, Words of Radiance, which is due out in November. You're right, though, by the time the last book comes out, you'll probably have to reread the whole series to really be on top of things.

I'm currently reading Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin series and recommend it too. Some of the protagonists are definitely anti-heroes, you kind of like them one minute, then hate them the next, then kind of like them again - it 's never for sure how the author wants you to feel about them. Characterization is very strong and the books are well-plotted, overall very well written. And definitely for adults, which can be a nice change, with so much fantasy these days skirting the YA line.

I also am currently in absolute love with a book called "Of Stalk and Stone". This is the first book in a series called "The Chronicles of the Third". The author is incredibly intelligent and talented.

I'll let you know when I get the thing sold. ;)

I also am currently in absolute love with a book called "Of Stalk and Stone". This is the first book in a series called "The Chronicles of the Third". The author is incredibly intelligent and talented.

I'll let you know when I get the thing sold. ;)

If you need a proof reader or pre-release review . . . . :D

I am not as much into sci-fi or fantasy, but a few series I enjoyed reading were co-authored by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. They did do quite a few entries in the Dragonlance series (which I tried to get into, but couldn't), but their others I really liked. The Darksword Trilogy, the Rose Of The Prophet series, the Death Gate Cycle (7 books), and Margaret Weis did her own sci-fi/fantasy series called Star Of The Guardian, which spun off another series called Mag Force 7. I believe they did another series together, but I can't recall the name of it.

Been wanting to get these on the Kindle so I could re-read them without having to dig through tons of storage boxes for them (and read them in larger print--my eyes are not so good anymore), but they made the Kindle versions overpriced IMHO.

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman was a fantastic read!

American Gods and Neverwhere by Niel Gaiman were also good.

Way of Kings -- A++

The various Corean Chronicles books by Modesitt Jr., L. E. were also decent.

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman was a fantastic read!

Indeed! I'd forgotten how much I liked it. I could probably knock off the Cycle again this summer if I want to. It's a long story to follow, and the first four novels had me wondering how they would all be tied together in the end. I believe I looked forward to the sixth novel the most, as the previous novels built up to the Labyrinth and I was anxious to read about what would happen there.

Looks like I'll have to start digging through storage boxes soon! ;)

Top Bottom