XF 1.5 illegal mix of collations during import from vBulletin

Boothby

During the import process of vBulletin 3.8 I was getting the following error.

Server Error
Mysqli statement execute error : Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Importer/vBulletin.php at line 2801
  5. XenForo_Importer_vBulletin->stepContentTags() in XenForo/Importer/Abstract.php at line 124
  6. XenForo_Importer_Abstract->runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 189
  7. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 137
  8. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->actionImport() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
  9. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  10. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /www/htdocs/stftvb/forum/xf/admin.php at line 13
I finished the import of users, forums, posts and a lot other stuff without problems.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
It looks like it's related to tags.

Check the collation of all of the tables in your VB database.

Boothby

Thanks, that was the right tip for further investigations. All tables are on latin1_swedish_ci. The tags had some items with umlauts.

I changed vbulletin.php at line 2791 to:

PHP:
$tagId = $sDb->fetchOne('
    SELECT tagid
    FROM ' . $prefix . 'tag
    WHERE tagtext = ?
', utf8_encode($tagText)); // <-- this