Fixed Ignored users can still follow a member

Vekseid

Affected version
I was thinking I would make an addon for this, but wanted to report here first in case you agreed with the issue.

While we of course encourage reporting issues, many members prefer to use the ignore function instead.

Following someone is currently still a way for one member to get on another member's radar despite the ignore fuction, and I have been asked by four members now to implement a means to block ignored members from following them.

IIRC that is as designed. The ignore functionality is supposed to be hidden. If the ignored member could not follow the member, then they would know that they are being ignored.

It is the same with likes.

IIRC that is as designed. The ignore functionality is supposed to be hidden. If the ignored member could not follow the member, then they would know that they are being ignored.

It is the same with likes.

In that case alerts can be filtered and the ignored user hidden in follow lists by the ignoring user (not just their own).

I don't see why it matters if the ignored member knows they are being ignored.

There used to be an add-on in 1.x that would cause both members to ignore each other if one activated an ignore. Should be a core feature, IMO.

I don't see why it matters if the ignored member knows they are being ignored.

There used to be an add-on in 1.x that would cause both members to ignore each other if one activated an ignore. Should be a core feature, IMO.

Well, it's like banning vs discouragement. If your forum has a solid way to catch ban evaders (handling VPNs and proxies, etc) then it doesn't matter too much if they know.

Otherwise, you may have some creeps who just make new accounts to harass members.

This is the code that sends the following alert - there's clearly an isIgnoring check there so as far as I can tell, no alert is sent.
PHP:
if (!$followUser->isIgnoring($followedBy->user_id)
   && $followUser->Option->doesReceiveAlert('user', 'following')
)
{
   /** @var \XF\Repository\UserAlert $alertRepo */
   $alertRepo = $this->repository('XF:UserAlert');
   $alertRepo->alert(
      $followUser, $followedBy->user_id, $followedBy->username, 'user', $followUser->user_id, 'following'
   );
}
I thought maybe it was relatively new code but, no, it's been there since XF 2.0.0.

I also just did a test where a user I was ignoring follows me and I did not get an alert.

This is the code that sends the following alert - there's clearly an isIgnoring check there so as far as I can tell, no alert is sent.
PHP:
if (!$followUser->isIgnoring($followedBy->user_id)
   && $followUser->Option->doesReceiveAlert('user', 'following')
)
{
   /** @var \XF\Repository\UserAlert $alertRepo */
   $alertRepo = $this->repository('XF:UserAlert');
   $alertRepo->alert(
      $followUser, $followedBy->user_id, $followedBy->username, 'user', $followUser->user_id, 'following'
   );
}
I thought maybe it was relatively new code but, no, it's been there since XF 2.0.0.

I also just did a test where a user I was ignoring follows me and I did not get an alert.

It wasn't a report about the alert, it's that the user can still see them in their follower list. See my addon here. Though I now have a version that also blocks likes.

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has now been resolved and we are aiming to include it in a future XF release (2.1.2).

Change log:
Do not show following/follower users who are ignored by the current visitor on a user's profile.
Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

Top Bottom