As designed  Ignore system

The only 'quirk' I'm seeing with the ignore system is that if I read a thread, the thread gets several new replies, the last poster happens to be somebody I am ignoring, then when I click on the thread title to see the other new replies I end up seeing the ignored persons post.

Not a big deal but I didn't realize why I was seeing the ignored person until I read Kier's post #2 above.
That's exactly what I think may users will confuse.

Yes it is. (y)

I'm not sure about ignoring likes, since that seems to affect the person who received the like (or the perception you get at least), which is going a bit far. However it would be great if they could find a solution to the last post info.

However it would be great if they could find a solution to the last post info.
Well there are a few options:
  1. Show the last post info, regardless of whether or not the poster is on your ignore list.
  2. Don't show the last post info at all if the poster is on your ignore list.
  3. Store two lots of denormalized last post info with the forum / thread record in the hope that the second group of info is not someone on your ignore list, and show that instead. Downside: the second info group could still be someone on your ignore list, in which case you've achieved nothing, and meanwhile the thread and forum tables are cluttered up with a whole bunch more data that is used extremely infrequently.
  4. If the last poster is on your ignore list, query the last poster that is not on your ignore list directly from the post or thread tables. Downside: major performance hit (multiple extra queries) in the event that the denormalized last poster info is on your ignore list.
We opted for 1, as it has no performance hit and no storage penalty.

as a end user, i would hate to see post of someone who is ignored

should have opted for 2.
Don't you think that would be immensely annoying, to have obvious blank spaces in the usual UI? Surely you're just going to spend your time wondering which person from your ignore list has posted?

I'm sure someone will post some template edits to achieve some alternatives (such as replacing the user with a nice, generic, John Smith).

In all honesty I'm not sure why people are so against this. I don't ignore a user because his/her username irks me, mainly because their attitude or content is complete bollocks, basically. I don't mind seeing their username at all, I just don't wanna see the crap they've written.

(Just as a note, I don't have anyone ignored so it's not aimed at you ;))

[quote="James, post: 259637" I don't ignore a user because his/her username irks me, mainly because their attitude or content is complete bollocks, basically.[/quote]
only issue with it, is that some forums allow users to have offensive user names. Of course if that is the case, why are you participating in a forum where you find some user names offensive?

With trying to edit out the quotes, with some regards it can work by having the "post: xxxx" tag. However, if the user quoting another user somehow screws up the quote tags, then the info will still show up? i.e. if I just cut and paste text from Member A, and Member B doesn't have me on ignore, but has member A on ignore -- They will still see the message.

There is no perfect solution from this, the only way to completely ignore someone would be to not use the forum.

Offensive usernames should be dealt with upon registration, that's not really a function of the ignore system. As for quotes, its impossible unless there is a username in the quote, which there will be unless you purposely remove it or part-quote a user.

- does it still show me "Recent Activities" from users I ignore ?
- do users which I ignore see my posts and activities ?

I think the option that should been looked at is don't show the ignored users name in the lastpost and show the last poster who posted in that thread you haven't ignored, then upon clicking, it will only show the last poster you haven't ignored. It's my biggest gripe with the ignore feature and how it's designed like this. If I ignore someone I either deem their posts redundant and don't want to even look at, interact in anyway at their posts.

If I read option2 correctly that the lastpost poster area doesn't display at all if an ignored person is the last poster that shouldn't have even been a consideration but as I stated above, in my opinion should have been looked at. What I'm saying is if I ignore someone I want to get that warm fuzzy feeling they don't exist, and that they are just a memory.

I'm not knocking the feature, It's just my biggest issue with the ignore system.

Top Bottom