Ignore / Filter System

Forsaken

This is from one of my older posts, but it was several different ideas, and I rather this one be added rather then any of the others.

Ignore/Filter System
One thing I've noticed that is currently lacking (In the form of user ignore) currently, and that most forums do not extend more then the basic concept, is the ignore function.

• Users: Rather then just ignore their posts, PM's and such, I'd like to see them completely ignored. More then once, I've been on a forum where there was a person that I could barely stand would aggravate me.
  • Forums/Categories: The ability to completely hide forums or categories, and filter out any threads or posts in them. I often don't read introduction forums, or site showcases, and I rather not have to sift through them when I use the "What's New?" link.
  • Threads/Posts: Ability to ignore certain threads and posts. This is more because I rarely participate in forum games where yous say something about the previous poster.

Upvote 237
Having the ability for someone to completely not frustrate me on any level on the board would be a modification I'd pay for.

I don't want to see their profile, their posts, their threads, or their private msgs.

Having them not show as if that user is not posting would be a huge plus for me.
Their arrogance, irritating posts, or just dumb ignorant behavior is enough for me to feel frustrated and get the urge to put them in their place (not one of my good qualities to have I am sure, but hey, human nature..). It has a negative effect on the board, which could be prevented by simply being able to not even see their name fly by.

+1 for supporting global ignore feature.

I was just about to add a suggestion for 'Inline Ignore', and found this while searching.

It would be great to be able to ignore a thread, forum or user, and for the options to do so to be visible. Eg, clicking on an avatar the popup could show ignore next to follow. Next to watch thread could be ignore thread, and next to mark this forum read would be ignore this forum.

When clicking ignore a confirmation dialog would pop-up, and you could choose to either 'Hide' or 'Ignore' the object. Hidden objects would be suppressed like in VB, while Ignored objects would be completely invisible.

There would also be a facility for members to remove ignores in their settings.

id love a more robust ignore system as well.
id like to ignore threads, catagories, forums, people and ims, have their quotes not appear, have them not present in search results, etc.
im thinking it would also be nice to have an option to list a users 'ignored members' in their profile.
moderators should not be above being ignored either.
the vb-style ignore system is not sufficient.

as for hide/ignore, id just call it ignore. i dont care what facebook calls it, im not trying to run a facebook clone. imo, if i am at the point of putting somebody on ignore we are well past the stage of worrying about hurt feelings.

Having the ability for someone to completely not frustrate me on any level on the board would be a modification I'd pay for.

I don't want to see their profile, their posts, their threads, or their private msgs.

Having them not show as if that user is not posting would be a huge plus for me.
Their arrogance, irritating posts, or just dumb ignorant behavior is enough for me to feel frustrated and get the urge to put them in their place (not one of my good qualities to have I am sure, but hey, human nature..). It has a negative effect on the board, which could be prevented by simply being able to not even see their name fly by.

+1 for supporting global ignore feature.

Totally agree, would love a feature in a forum where you can simply not bother about the "look at me" sort of poster that routinely gets up my nose. About the only issue I can see with it is members replying to posts that you can't see or quoting from those posts ... small price to pay imho.

It would be nice if even quotes from the ignored person could even be ignored, I always wanted to write some vB function that would regexp all quoted material against a thread viewers' ignore list, and remove that content if it belonged to an ignored user.

And nicer still if you still use the "goes to Coventry" nomenclature.
+1

Although I'm not sure that is even possible...

I noticed that members at our forums used the ignore function, but then stopped using it because they could still read the quotes. So Ignore is rather useless when not everything is ignored. The question that remains is: is it technically possible, and if not, should XF bother with a system a la vB?

Although, I disagree with "make it sound nice" idea. If you want to ignore somebody they most likely have it coming; therefore you should name the feature something like "Push into a Fire and Forget About".

The confirmation would be: "Do you really want to Push into a Fire and Forget About Chousho?"
ROFL

Seriously I have no problem with "Ignore". It's the terminology used for this on most other forums, MMOs, etc.

And it would be brilliant if Quotes were suppressed as well.

ROFL

Seriously I have no problem with "Ignore". It's the terminology used for this on most other forums, MMOs, etc.

And it would be brilliant if Quotes were suppressed as well.
I say make it as mean as you possibly can, that way people are much more inclined to use the feature, as they can imagine horrible things being done to the person being ignored.

Some call it a Block: and you can block or be blocked. But there are still ways around it on an open board.
Example: seems my logic on one board irritated one gal to no end so she has blocked me (nevermind her block list is heading upwards of 1000 members now by her own admission). Anyway, this is what I see when I am not logged into the board in the public areas: The one that has me blocked is Elizabeth N.

Google is your friend and s-he is simple minded1.webp
If I am logged in and go to the same thread, this is what I see:
Google is your friend and s-he is simple minded.webp

Some call it a Block: and you can block or be blocked. But there are still ways around it on an open board.
Example: seems my logic on one board irritated one gal to no end so she has blocked me (nevermind her block list is heading upwards of 1000 members now by her own admission). Anyway, this is what I see when I am not logged into the board in the public areas: The one that has me blocked is Elizabeth N.

View attachment 1790
If I am logged in and go to the same thread, this is what I see:
View attachment 1791
Your kitty is beautiful! *cries*

Forsaken directed me over here because I was asking elsewhere for a Block per user on PC.

I doLike Forsaken's suggestions though I would add

~ no Ignore on mods - which is a bit tricky because a mod can be heavyhanded, careless or unfair - barging in on offtopic stuff when they do pl;enty of it themselves/ or deleting posts which contain perfectly appropriate relevant stuff - come to mind. Suggests a route to Report a mod but would need thought - [perhaps a time delay for simmering down!

~ Block PC on a per user basis. This is ESSENTIAL. I would rarely want to Ignore a user completely - if I don't like their style I just skip their forum posts. Nonetheless as an admin I can see many would apreciate it.
But I DO want to sometimes cut off a user from contacting me privately.
That is basic self protection. Especially important for a lot of women, all minors, the socially 'different' who can get targeted, the outspoken :) and sensitive blokes. Quite a lot of people really.

Oh and being able to substitute a really lovely phrase like chousho suggests would be ace
chousho suggested- Push into a Fire and Forget
confirmation would be: "Do you really want to Push into a Fire and Forget About Chousho?"

I could see this being satisfying to frustrated and negative feelings in a constructive way so good for the board
plus also admins can adapt the phrase to suit the culture on their board.

Way to go! Fairly dragon.

Forsaken directed me over here because I was asking elsewhere for a Block per user on PC.

I doLike Forsaken's suggestions though I would add

~ no Ignore on mods - which is a bit tricky because a mod can be heavyhanded, careless or unfair - barging in on offtopic stuff when they do pl;enty of it themselves/ or deleting posts which contain perfectly appropriate relevant stuff - come to mind. Suggests a route to Report a mod but would need thought - [perhaps a time delay for simmering down!

~ Block PC on a per user basis. This is ESSENTIAL. I would rarely want to Ignore a user completely - if I don't like their style I just skip their forum posts. Nonetheless as an admin I can see many would apreciate it.
But I DO want to sometimes cut off a user from contacting me privately.
That is basic self protection. Especially important for a lot of women, all minors, the socially 'different' who can get targeted, the outspoken :) and sensitive blokes. Quite a lot of people really.

Oh and being able to substitute a really lovely phrase like chousho suggests would be ace
chousho suggested- Push into a Fire and Forget
confirmation would be: "Do you really want to Push into a Fire and Forget About Chousho?"

I could see this being satisfying to frustrated and negative feelings in a constructive way so good for the board
plus also admins can adapt the phrase to suit the culture on their board.

Way to go! Fairly dragon.
The no ignore on mods would be a given, I don't think they'd implement anything where you could ignore staff.

Blocking PC's on a per user basis seems going a bit to far for this feature request; if you really do not wish for the user to PC you, and you are already ignoring them, what is to keep you from blocking them all together? 

Blocking PC's on a per user basis seems going a bit to far for this feature request; if you really do not wish for the user to PC you, and you are already ignoring them, what is to keep you from blocking them all together?

No this is INSTEAD of IOgnore completely.
So I'd still see them on forums etc but I'm just choosing to block them PCing me.

Actually this suggests 3 grades.

Block PC only on this user.
and/ or
Block Alerts + Your News about this user.
Ignore ALL about this user, including others' quoting them.

1 question: If you block a PC from user X and you are invited into a PC with users X, Y and Z: what happens? Is user X ignored and the conversation may make no logical sense or are they unignored for the purpose of this conversation?

1 question: If you block a PC from user X and you are invited into a PC with users X, Y and Z: what happens? Is user X ignored and the conversation may make no logical sense or are they unignored for the purpose of this conversation?

James you are one cool thinker!
I think the simplest is to see it as I block X from PCing ME but if I wanted I could still PC X - unless X had done the same.
So as long as the invite doesn't come from X no problem.

No this is INSTEAD of IOgnore completely.
So I'd still see them on forums etc but I'm just choosing to block them PCing me.

Actually this suggests 3 grades.

Block PC only on this user.
and/ or
Block Alerts + Your News about this user.
Ignore ALL about this user, including others' quoting them.
First one is essentially blocking PC's to people you follow; second two are essentially the same thing that I have suggested.

My point is, if you've gotten to the point where you need to consider blocking someone, you've probably already reported someone, and you're already tired of seeing their posts. I already ignore many people for the most part, and rather then having to continually ignore their posts, alerts, and/or quoted text is getting very tiresome, and splitting up the system into levels seems redundant and that its less work then required.

With the original suggestion, it would be a 1-2 click method (If there is a confirmation) to block them. In your method, there would be a 3-5 click implementation, where most often it would seem someone would just want to block them outright.

Thats my take on it, nothing more. 

James you are one cool thinker!
I think the simplest is to see it as I block X from PCing ME but if I wanted I could still PC X - unless X had done the same.
So as long as the invite doesn't come from X no problem.
Hmm. It's a nice idea. If you block PCs from X (meaning they cannot start a conversation with you) but you are allowed to PC X (baring in mind PC = personal conversation), doesn't that remove the conversation aspect from the PC?

For the most part, I'd prefer they were ignored, though in the case if I were acting to mediate difficulties between my members, I'd like a way to override the ignore function, so that I can clear up issues as well as I can.

As was seen last night, some users will continue to badmouth people even if they have left the issue behind them, which essentially causes a new set of issues for the community.

I however wouldn't expect the override, and it could be quite difficult to add. 

I agree with the suggestion. It's unfortunate that in this case, I would have to use it on this forum, for a well-known member has qualified him/herself on my list.

Top Bottom