If you thought GDPR is a joke, joke's on you

That's right they retain their original copyright (Ie you can't stop them using it elsewhere) but you have the right to keep it on your forum.

Exactly right.

Probably not but I think it's good practice to remove personal data when requested anyway. It absolves you from any possible issues if for example there was some identity theft due to what was on your site. Removing that data when requested makes you squeaky clean and doesn't harm your forum (as would removing all their posts) so I'd advise you just do that and keep the posts that have no personal data.

If they posted a picture of their children, pets, house or posted birthdate, mother's maiden name, first school attended then remove that - and possibly the onus is on them to tell you what is personal - not just "all of my posts"

For any removal of anything the prudent, and pedantic, forum-owner should exercise his or her absolute right of demanding --- stringent, and possibly annoying --- proof that the request is made by the right person, and not say, a wicked Russian troll paid in used US dollars by Dread Vlad himself, to assume an identity and create havoc.

I would rather favour a photocopy of the user's passport as requested by all the best dodgy employers, a certificated pronouncement by a public notary, and an authenticated reference from a local priest on church stationary.

I would rather favour a photocopy of the user's passport as requested by all the best dodgy employers, a certificated pronouncement by a public notary, and an authenticated reference from a local priest on church stationary.
All the above documents as originals delivered in person! :cool:

I haven't changed it and I reviewed that part of the T&C, I'm just not sure how much it would hold up legally since it states they retain copyright. I've felt I'm quite safe to retain the content and I believe I'll continue in that direction.
See:
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

Top Bottom