1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented If Blogs will come later: A tool to migrate existing vBlog entries into a designated forum?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Tigratrus, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Frankly, I wish to GOD we had never introduced Blogs on our site at ALL. The way it's implemented, all it's done is fragment the community interaction. I'd really be quite happy to have all existing Blogs moved into a designated "Project Blog" forum, with one thread per ex-vBlog and call it good.

Actually I'd jump up and down and sing alleluia. Or... Maybe "Ding dong the witch is dead"? :p
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I am going to suggest a no, but don't take my word for it. It doesn't really make sense to do that, but I can see why this would be helpful :)
  3. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Can you clarify why you think it wouldn't make sense? Because you prefer to have a "Blog" section?

Frankly, having tried to make blogs work for about 3 years or so (starting with vBlogetin and then migrating to vBlog after the release of vBlog essentially killed the vBlogetin community), we've come to the pretty firm opinion that Blogs (as they are implemented in vB) are a serious detriment to the community interaction and we would very much prefer that we had never even experimented with it. Many of our best, most involved members put some of their best content in their blogs where it gets little to no exposure and generates very VERY little interaction/commentary with the rest of the community.

The problem is, we DO have people that have spent time effort on their blogs and refuse to let their effort be in vain. We'll almost certainly want to move to XF, but Blogs are going to be a likely deal breaker as far as a migration is concerned.

Galleries are going to be the other one.
  4. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

My test import of vB 3.8 went very well and the users who I've let test our new xF are amazed. One question that has come up is about our current vB blogs- I'm wondering what to do about them as well. I'm sure I could do something with a WP bridge but would that be able to import current blogs, attachments and comments?
  5. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Brandon over at XenFans created a migration tool for blogs.
  6. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I am seeing exactly the same on my vB3.8 powered platform. Obviously (what's in a word), the Blogs on that platform are invisible (which we kept pointing out to Jelsoft/IB, but nothing was done about it... like so many other things that were not right in the 3.7 - 3.8 series... God I long back for the Jelsoft days before IB took over).

There definitely is a need for member Blogs on my site, but by all means... if Xenforo ever implements this, then please make it so (this time around) that they are visible and properly integrated in the whole package. We are in need of Blogs for our regular members, but we also have plans to introduce commercial blogs for our advertisers. XenForo has an outstandig UI/UX for publishing postings, why not extend it to Blogs as well?
  7. Gladius

Gladius Well-Known Member

Aren't vBlogs imported as forum threads now?