Fixed IE problem with post edit overlay

Wildcat Media

I have confirmed this on a handful of forums running 1.2. Our big board has this bug, our private testing forum has it, as does another forum I frequent. Just a moment ago, I installed a stock, unmodified, clean, no add-on XF and I get the problem there also, so it is not an issue with add-ons, themes or modifications.

The problem is when editing a post using the overlay editor, with IE10 (and likely other versions, which I no longer have) as the browser. You can edit an existing post one time. But, go to edit it a second or third time, and the editing area cannot receive focus, and you cannot edit the message. The buttons below the post do work, however. If you refresh the page, you can then edit the post. And again, you can only edit it once.

With Chrome, I am able to edit a post a dozen times in a row without any ill effect.

After searching here and browsing to no avail, I could not find another reported bug (unless someone has submitted it with an unclear thread title). Apologies if it's a duplicate.

For XF staff: I have created a login and a super admin account, plus a direct FTP login, if you need to access my unmodified test forum. Reply here if you need access and I'll send details privately.

Thanks!

Last edited:
@psTubble27

Partially. Appears to be the same a number 3 on that list. Also, at least one person here has said he can't reproduce the issue with IE8, so it might be only a problem with later versions than that.

The issue appears to be that IE fails to focus the editor on click. Tabbing into it seems to work.

I have a workaround, but it doesn't put the cursor in the correct position if the bug would have been triggered. This happens because normally the click would focus the editor but since it doesn't, when we force the focus, it doesn't know where to put it (so it goes at the beginning). That's better than not being able to type though.

I am thinking this is more of a Redcator bug than something in XF's code. I wonder if a vanilla install of Redactor would do the same. If I have time later today, I might try putting a stock Redactor on a blank HTML page, but that does not really provide a good comparison since there is no other code to conflict with it.

Top Bottom