Browser issue Idle Forums Lag

Wolfy9247

It seems that if I'm to leave my Firefox on the Bukkit forums for a long enough period of time it'll slowly start using more and more processing speed and eventually cause me to have to close down Firefox and re-open because it's lagging so much. I have no idea of the cause of this problem, but if it could be fixed or improved on that'd be great!

Thank You!

(Quoted from thread on Bukkit Forums)

Could you characterize how you typically use Bukkit Forums vs. other non-xf powered forums?

For instance, did they switch to xf, and were you a regular member of that forum before they switched?

Website speed tests tell me that your site is 3x as fast as mine, so I don't think it's the server's fault :P
Prolly something about his Firefox Installation or so.

Could you characterize how you typically use Bukkit Forums vs. other non-xf powered forums?

For instance, did they switch to xf, and were you a regular member of that forum before they switched?
@Brogan: Firefox memory leak has always been a problem, but I know it isn't this bad. I can leave my Firefox idle on ANY other site and it'll not cause it to use up as much memory as it does leaving it on there.

@Dean Ever since I've joined it's been using the XF software. It's not any different really from any other forum, I usually sometimes go away from my computer for long periods of time and I never have the memory leakage that this error seems to cause.

So other than Firefox memory leaks, I don't really know the cause of the problem.

@Brogan: Firefox memory leak has always been a problem, but I know it isn't this bad. I can leave my Firefox idle on ANY other site and it'll not cause it to use up as much memory as it does leaving it on there.

@Dean Ever since I've joined it's been using the XF software. It's not any different really from any other forum, I usually sometimes go away from my computer for long periods of time and I never have the memory leakage that this error seems to cause.

So other than Firefox memory leaks, I don't really know the cause of the problem.
To be clear: What is the easiest way to replicate the issue?

Start up a computer with nothing else running, start FF, view their forum, then walk away?

Start up a computer with nothing else running, start FF, view their forum, then walk away?

Yes, that's it :P
If I'd have a second computer, I'd do that. But I don't.

Heh, that sounds like the easiest way to replicate it. Try viewing 1 or 2 topics from the forums (so say about 2 tabs) then just try leaving it there and see what happens. If nothing else you can always try doing other things such as browsing other websites and doing things while those 2 tabs are still running and see if any decrease in performance.

Heh, that sounds like the easiest way to replicate it. Try viewing 1 or 2 topics from the forums (so say about 2 tabs) then just try leaving it there and see what happens. If nothing else you can always try doing other things such as browsing other websites and doing things while those 2 tabs are still running and see if any decrease in performance.
Could you describe a bit about your setup? FF version, memory.. how new the computer might be.. just in general terms.

Also, could you give a guess as to when it gets laggy? (sp?) Hours/days/weeks?

Could you describe a bit about your setup? FF version, memory.. how new the computer might be.. just in general terms.

Also, could you give a guess as to when it gets laggy? (sp?) Hours/days/weeks?
About:Firefox
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13

About: Wolfy-PC

But other than the specs I'm usually just running some music in the background via Winamp, Windows Media Player, along with Trillian and / or Skype. I'm also just doing some general browsing, posting on forums, Facebook, etc. It usually doesn't slow down too much unless I leave it on the Bukkit website or try having too many tabs from their website such as (7).

This is about all the diagnostic information I can give you that you'd need though.

XenForo has always made my Firefox 3.6 leak far more than normal (even on a completely fresh profile) - I've been restarting it every couple of hours for months.

Figured it was just a browser bug/nothing can be done so I hadn't said anything until now.

Edit: Also it's not just the usual Firefox leak - we're talking 700MB in an hour and significantly diminished performance from 5-10 minutes in.

XenForo has always made my Firefox 3.6 leak far more than normal (even on a completely fresh profile) - I've been restarting it every couple of hours for months.

Figured it was just a browser bug/nothing can be done so I hadn't said anything until now.
I'm glad it's not just me that's had / having this problem ^^

(Quoted from thread on Bukkit Forums)
When you are logged into that forum, do the relative timestamps work? Specifically: if you click on Whats New, then just leave that on your screen, the A Moment Ago will turn to 1 Minute ago with clicking on anything.

I've been watching that forum for a while now, but the relative timestamps are not working for guests..

Edit: Also it's not just the usual Firefox leak - we're talking 700MB in an hour and significantly diminished performance from 5-10 minutes in.
I am not seeing anything close to that kind of memory being consumed in the Window Task Manager (I am assuming that is how you are getting the information).. at least not by simply letting the tabs sit in a window, by clicking around on various forums it is slowly being consumed though.

Top Bottom