XF 1.5 Ideal way to change price of a recurring account upgrade

Cyb3r

Recently I changed the price of some member account upgrades, but some of them with recurring payments are paying with the same old price, is that expected behavior? if yes then how can I prevent this from happening to others who already subscribed to the old price? should I delete the old upgrade and make a new one?

Last edited:
This is expected. PayPal does not allow you to change prices of recurring subscriptions. You would need to cancel the subscriptions and have the users repurchase.

This is expected. PayPal does not allow you to change prices of recurring subscriptions. You would need to cancel the subscriptions and have the users repurchase.

By "cancel the subscriptions" do you mean delete them from the admin panel? or I have to go through all paypal subscriptions and cancel them manually?

That will be a lot of work. :/

Unfortunately, it would require changes within PayPal itself. (Even if you could change subscription amounts--there are some ways that it can be done depending on the integration type and if some extras have been enabled in the account--XenForo wouldn't know about the new value, so the subscription payment wouldn't be accepted.)

Unfortunately, it would require changes within PayPal itself. (Even if you could change subscription amounts--there are some ways that it can be done depending on the integration type and if some extras have been enabled in the account--XenForo wouldn't know about the new value, so the subscription payment wouldn't be accepted.)

Yeah, thank you Mike I made the changes already in paypal, I changed the recurring amount to the new prices, hope that how it's work. :)

Perhaps you could stop payments reoccurring, disallow purchasing of the old subscriptions then set up new subscriptions at the new prices and ask your members to repurchase.

Yeah, thank you Mike I made the changes already in paypal, I changed the recurring amount to the new prices, hope that how it's work. :)
I'm 99.9% sure you're going to see the existing ones recur at the old price. (If they don't, they won't be recurring at the price XF expects--what they were purchased at--so we won't process them. You'll see errors in the user upgrade transaction log.)

I'm 99.9% sure you're going to see the existing ones recur at the old price.
I can confirm that is the case.

I have an annual upgrade which has subsequently been increased in cost and the original purchasers still renew at the original (lower) price.

I'm 99.9% sure you're going to see the existing ones recur at the old price. (If they don't, they won't be recurring at the price XF expects--what they were purchased at--so we won't process them. You'll see errors in the user upgrade transaction log.)

So better to cancel them?

@Mike I got a major issue with paypal for unknown reason, all account upgrades payments sent as $0.01?!

Here's some images:
lWB7NZE.png

MT0a121.png

We have tried all account upgrades but still having the same issue.

Please help ASAP!

Is the price set for the upgrade as you expect within XenForo? When you click to purchase the upgrade, what do you see as the price in PayPal?

Are these all from the same person? If so, it looks more like that person is trying to "hack" the system to get access for $0.01. This is a common thing that's attempting and it's why we explicitly check that they paid us what's expected. (You'll see the action errored.)

Given that PayPal is showing the payment is $15 when you go to it, if the user is actually only paying $0.01, that would appear to be an issue on their end. If you (or someone you know) can reproduce it, that'd be important. But otherwise, I'm 99.9% sure it's someone trying to be dodgy.

Are these all from the same person? If so, it looks more like that person is trying to "hack" the system to get access for $0.01. This is a common thing that's attempting and it's why we explicitly check that they paid us what's expected. (You'll see the action errored.)

Given that PayPal is showing the payment is $15 when you go to it, if the user is actually only paying $0.01, that would appear to be an issue on their end. If you (or someone you know) can reproduce it, that'd be important. But otherwise, I'm 99.9% sure it's someone trying to be dodgy.

Yeah I noticed that the system didn't apply the upgrade cause it didn't get not the same price from paypal, I will try to do it myself now and see, I was freaking out because I thought I messed up something with paypal because I disabled an account upgrade which was renewing with the same old price and giving them double the time, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I have to investigate the current issue first.

I confirm that it's from the member side, I sent you a PC with an image of his response when I asked him to contact paypal, can you please read the message and let me know what you think, I'm not familiar with paypal issues so i'm wondering if they really going to say such thing to him?
I know they have nothing against me because I already refunded all the money I got, but I just want to know if he is lying or not, thanks. :)

Thank you Mike for all the help, I took care of him already, really appreciated!

Top Bottom