I will lost all my template changes when i update xenforo?

Regina Ortega

Hello, i was reading some guides to add some stuff, and i noticed that i could lose all my template changes when i upgrade to a new version of xen foro, is that true? How i can prevent, dont lose everything? :(

For now, all changes are small, but if i keep editing it i dont wanna lose everything what i alread did :(

No - Templates that are changed are skipped. Upgrades do not overwrite your custom templates. They must be manually reverted to get the new features from an upgrade, then you must merge your custom changes back into the reverted template.

No it isn't true.

If XenForo have made changes in the new version to templates you've already modified, then your modification take priority.

This means the newly updated templates will contain your changes but they will be marked as "outdated".

You will need to manually go to each outdated template, and work out which of your code you need to merge into which part of the new template.

It's not a simple process, but realistically the only one that wouldn't cause major disruption or data loss.

No it isn't true.

If XenForo have made changes in the new version to templates you've already modified, then your modification take priority.

This means the newly updated templates will contain your changes but they will be marked as "outdated".

You will need to manually go to each outdated template, and work out which of your code you need to merge into which part of the new template.

It's not a simple process, but realistically the only one that wouldn't cause major disruption or data loss.

So if I understand this correctly when you upgrade Xenforo it upgrades and templates but marks them as "Outdated".

Or does it not upgrade these templates?

Once they have been marked as outdated what do you do then? Do you just go and verify your code and make sure its ok?

What are outdated templates and why do I need to revert them? Can't I just continue using the old ones?
If a template is changed between releases, i.e. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and you have manually edited it, then it will be marked as outdated. This is done because the software doesn't automatically overwrite those templates, thereby causing certain functionality which you have added to be lost. It is an indication that the core code has changed and you need to take action. The software will continue to function with these outdated templates but you may be missing important updates and bug fixes so it is recommended to revert and reapply any edits.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Top Bottom