1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to buy Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by HSP, Feb 23, 2016.

1. HSP

HSP Member

I have installed a nulled version of Xenforo to try it out, later i discovered you can try out the demo. Sorry about that, but hé, i am here to say i am interested to buy Xenforo and that's all about.

How does it work? Because i don't want to loose my current settings, users and content.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

One might expect that if you only installed a nulled version to "try it out" you wouldn't have many users or much content to lose...

However, once you purchase XenForo properly, download the files from your customer area for the version you are currently using and then upload them, replacing any existing files on your server. After that I would recommend going to the install page and clicking the "Rebuild Master Data" button.

If you are currently using an older version of XenForo, you may also want to consider upgrading. We released XF 1.5.6 today.

3. HSP

HSP Member

Thanks for your reply, according the forum its Xenforo 1.5.3

So i can just upload it on my server and replace existing files?

4. Chris D

Yes. If you upload newer files than 1.5.3 then you will be prompted to upgrade. As it's not too far behind, I recommend just upgrading to the latest version (1.5.6).

HSP likes this.
  5. HSP

HSP Member

Going to purchase now!

6. HSP

HSP Member

I have attached a payment proof. However, i have to download the full package not the upgrade package right @Chris D

Attached Files:

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Use the upgrade archive, otherwise you will lose attachments and avatars.

Also, ensure you add your forum user name to your license so you can post in the customer forums.

8. HSP

HSP Member

Done,

Oh i have to download the Upgrade version?

9. Chris D

That would be recommended if you have an existing install, yes.

10. Brogan

Yes.

The full archive is only for doing new installations.

11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

If using a nulled.. I'd be tempted to delete ALL the files (including all in the /data and /internal_data) due to the fact you don't know what was put into the PHP files that may have opened a back door. Of course, that's the hazard of using nulled software - they frequently come with a back door installed.
    Otherwise, I'd be running numerous checks via scanners to make sure there were no root-kits installed and try to ascertain if the images have had code inserted into them.

abdfahim, semprot and Claudio like this.
  12. Brogan

@HSP If you don't intend to purchase branding removal, you will need to ensure you restore the XF copyright otherwise your access here will be restricted.

HSP likes this.
  13. HSP

HSP Member

Mission complete.

14. HSP

HSP Member

One question for @Tracy Perry : How can i check if there is a back door open?

15. Tracy Perry

You running on a VPS/dedi or a shared hosting environment? In shared hosting, it's going to be more difficult.... on a VPS/dedi there are utilities that will help scan, but none are fool-proof.
    chkrootkit is handy for root kits.

16. HSP

HSP Member

Thanks for replying, i have my own vps with cloud flare in between (installed a Xenforo add-on)

17. Tracy Perry

chkrootkit for root kits.. the image issue is a little more time consuming.
    https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/Hiding-Webshell-Backdoor-Code-in-Image-Files/

The biggest issue is that you don't know WHAT code (if any) was in the nulled version... so you don't know what/where/if you opened a back door into the system itself that allowed remote access to others - and if so, what they may have done/replaced.
    Personally.. I'd wipe the VPS totally and start from scratch - but I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.

HSP likes this.
  18. Brogan

Any further discussion/support should take place in the relevant customer forum.

HSP likes this.
  19. HSP

HSP Member

@Brogan you can lock this thread. Thank you.