I want to buy, but where the development of the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micron

I like the forum. Now use the VB 3.8. Watching the events XenForo and they do not please me. I am afraid that this project may cease to exist or will develop very slowly. Not managing to keep pace with the times. The latest release XenForo, Feb 7, 2012, it is very depressing. :(

Hmmm, the latest release is very stable and being used on a number of forums with MILLIONS of posts and high traffic. I guess you have to consider whether the glass is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty!

With my last forum sofrware, upgrades were promised and not delivered for 3-4 years! I think you will find it to be the same with your existing and many other forum packages.

You are correct that anything can happen. This is true with XF as well as with other projects. If you are hesitant and have no pressing reason to change over, that is a very valid decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

The latest release XenForo, Feb 7, 2012, it is very depressing. :(
What's very depressing is have maintenance releases every few weeks. Our forum is working fine, I honestly can't think of any bugs that affect me. New features are still being developed, they just take their time to make sure it's as bug free as possible. I'd much rather wait a little longer and not have to deal with as many maintenance/patch releases. Heck if I remember right under vB we were on patch number 5 for the version we were running.

Depressing little functionality compared to the VB. The absence of such a number of plug-ins, as the VB. This greatly inhibits the review of the transition from VB to Xeno. Now I'm faced with a choice. Go to VB4 suite, or Xeno ... :(

Depressing little functionality compared to the VB. The absence of such a number of plug-ins, as the VB. This greatly inhibits the review of the transition from VB to Xeno. Now I'm faced with a choice. Go to VB4 suite, or Xeno ... :(
What functionality are you missing?

You have to consider your community. It might be that if you need heavy CMS functionality, that moving to a "lesser" forum that has a great CMS may be the ticket.....EE meets that description.

Or, you can use WP and Xenforo.

The reason they opted for the name, I assume, is because it is "Zen", that is it accomplishes the task without being overkill. If one really needs all the extras, it's hard to beat VBB.....
The way I look at it, VBB is more like MS Word, that is....something with a vast array of features that many users may not need (but some do!).

xenForo is a young product and is actively being developed by the original programming team of vBulletin (before the days of IB). The original success of vBulletin should give you some confidence. xenForo is an awesome forum solution and is worth every single penny and is maturing at a natural rate. If you're not satisfied with what xenForo can offer you (and I honestly don't know why that would be the case) and you're not happy with vBulletin (this I can understand) then you should do some research. There is another really popular forum suite available that is extremely powerful. I am not going to mention the name here due to it being competition but it's a good solution.

I like the forum. Now use the VB 3.8. Watching the events XenForo and they do not please me. I am afraid that this project may cease to exist or will develop very slowly. Not managing to keep pace with the times. The latest release XenForo, Feb 7, 2012, it is very depressing. :(

You're thinking in vBulletin terms, where any small gap in releases or updates is catastrophic because the product is bug ridden to start with. Xenforo as pointed out above is very stable, negating the need for a constant stream of updates. I mean seriously look at all the updates to vB4 since it released, how many of these actually brought in ground breaking new features? vB4 in itself was not exactly an improvement on vB3 either.

You must get out of the vBulletin corporate mentality to understand Xenforo. But don't worry, we are here to help you :)

Still need to compare the functional VB4 cms vs Xeno + plugin portal.

I want to extend the functionality of the forum towards the portal. We have grown from a small forum just pants :)

. . . ? You're serious? Or trying to be funny? Sorry, not a native English speaker here so I can't comprehend . . .

So it's been 3 months. That's not long at all. How often do you expect a forum to update? I'd hate to update my forum too often to be honest. I'd rather just leave it running and not touch it.

After reading your posts, it looks like you should stay with VB if you're so consumed with VB plugins. I use the current XF portal and it is fine. Far less complicated for sure. Let me tell you as a newbie, I wouldn't even considering returning to VB because of their behavior mostly. Good luck to you my friend.

vBulletin CMS? I'm trying not to laugh.

VB CMS is quite possibly one of the most useless things VB has released in a very long time. It barely, just barely gets the title of CMS lol. If that's his concern than what's out now, ie: xenporta, etc - should be more than enough to meet his needs.

No need to be worried. In fact, some bugs were already labeled as fixed for the next release as recent as last Tuesday. I'm sure we'll be seeing a release soon, it being 1.1.3 and/or 1.2.0 Beta 1. :)

There is a lot that isn't quite there yet for xenForo when it comes to people moving from vBulletin to xenForo. A lot of it has to do with 3rd party support at this point. There isn't a lot out there.

For instance, even the options to generate a sitemap are pretty limited for the software when we talk about addons. A lot of us have been spoiled by vBSEO in this aspect. You have two options, one shows signs of not being able to work with big boards because of time out issues and the other has to be installed with about 5-6 other features that most people don't want to use.

The flexibility that vBulletin has does not currently exist with xenForo and it won't until xenForo proves they can develop and progress the software and the lawsuit ends.

That just has to be something that everyone understands at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom