I want a kindle fire

The other thing to remember is that at this price point the hackers will get their hands on it. Amazon has already stated that it is rootable and unlockable. They also said that there were not going to try and close those "features" off. So once someone unlocks the bootloader and has root access, now you have a completely open table to load any firmware on it. And with the low price point, you know there will be TONS of people working on fulling unlocking the device.

Russ

Are you saying that the price of the device is a deterrant to malicious users? If thats the case, how can you explain cracking the iphone, or OSX Lion, or a new vehicle? I thought that it was a common understanding anyone with direct access to hardware can exploit it.

Are you saying that the price of the device is a deterrant to malicious users? If thats the case, how can you explain cracking the iphone, or OSX Lion, or a new vehicle? I thought that it was a common understanding anyone with direct access to hardware can exploit it.
Rooting and unlocking the bootloader is not malicious. Price has nothing to do with deterring people from hacking, the 199 price point will allow more people (such as myself) to get involved in the project. I know that I don't have 5-600 to throw at a device that I may end up bricking.

Russ

I never did get an ipad or ipad 2, but I after seeing the short promos for the kindle fire, I really want one. As usual, the product is not available in Canada at launch, which sucks, but I'm still looking forward to picking up at least three of these units, and having the sum cost less than an ipad 2.

What you think aboot it?

The Kindle Fire

Have you looked into the similarly price BlackBerry Playbook?

Top Bottom