I Vote Xen

John L.

When I began working on a large project to make a Game Server Provider discussion board I was torn between using XenForo or vB. I, at the time, had decided to persue this with vB and have been nothing but disappointed in their product (I have been using vBulletin since 2.x). Today I decided to get the opinion of my developer as he is making the custom system for my site that will connect to the forum solution I choose. I gave him access to my XenForo installation(with developer mode turned on) and the response I received was simple:

"I vote xen."

So when you are looking for a forum solution that works, gives your developers peice of mind and flexible...do the right thing and vote xen.

Thanks XenForo for the wondeful piece of software!

Regards,
John

can you ask him to explain further why he chose xenforo ?

Sorry for the delayed response:

"I think the plugin system is a much more agile system. Basically vBulletin uses a system of hooks, whereas XenForo uses events. You can then add an event listener, which will be activated when an event is called. This is a newer concept to the web, but has been used in desktop applications for quite some time. It makes things a lot easier to understand."

Strictly speaking, events and hooks are the same thing - they are points in the code to which third-party code can bind.

The real differences are that XenForo's MVC architecture allows it to have just a handful of events, which allow you to do virtually anything, while vBulletin has dozens and dozens of hooks and still can't match the level of control that XenForo allows.

Secondly, vBulletin allows for raw code to be injected at its hook locations with absolutely no checks or balances over what is allowed, whereas XenForo uses a system of callbacks, which define precisely what data is available and how it can be manipulated. Although the vBulletin approach allows unlimited flexibility, it encourages chaos and collisions, and makes it virtually impossible to predict backward compatibility breakage as new versions are released.

Strictly speaking, events and hooks are the same thing - they are points in the code to which third-party code can bind.

The real differences are that XenForo's MVC architecture allows it to have just a handful of events, which allow you to do virtually anything, while vBulletin has dozens and dozens of hooks and still can't match the level of control that XenForo allows.

Secondly, vBulletin allows for raw code to be injected at its hook locations with absolutely no checks or balances over what is allowed, whereas XenForo uses a system of callbacks, which define precisely what data is available and how it can be manipulated. Although the vBulletin approach allows unlimited flexibility, it encourages chaos and collisions, and makes it virtually impossible to predict backward compatibility breakage as new versions are released.

Thanks Kier for the explanation. I suppose the bottom-line here is that XenForo's flexible is unsurpassed right now and my developer seens that. When I told him let's go with xF then he was immensely happy. We have already started development work and he is having a blast :).

Top Bottom