Not open for further replies.

jauburn

I wasn't sure what to call this thread.

Candidates were:

Good riddance
Is the PC dying?
Not a moment too soon...
What a fad!

Bottom line is this: I think the traditional PC is on its way out. (And with it, of course, the device that spawned a gazillion forums.)

If the PC is on its last legs, or beginning to wobble like a drunk headed for the curb, I'd like to say, "thank goodness!" Take a step back from these past 20 years, and what I want to say is this: What a horrible way to spend one's life! Sitting in front of a computer screen, looking at some CRT or LCD rather than into a real person's eyes.

These past decades have been just sad, in human terms.

Anyone agree?

I wasn't sure what to call this thread.

Candidates were:

Good riddance
Is the PC dying?
Not a moment too soon...
What a fad!

Bottom line is this: I think the traditional PC is on its way out. (And with it, of course, the device that spawned a gazillion forums.)

If the PC is on its last legs, or beginning to wobble like a drunk headed for the curb, I'd like to say, "thank goodness!" Take a step back from these past 20 years, and what I want to say is this: What a horrible way to spend one's life! Sitting in front of a computer screen, looking at some CRT or LCD rather than into a real person's eyes.

These past decades have been just sad, in human terms.

Anyone agree?
I own a few smartphones (3 that I actively use), a netbook, a laptop, and two Android tablets (And one WebOS tablet).

I still mostly use my desktop PC because it can do things faster, and because I am more productive with my setup.

The only people who can really drop their PC are ones who don't do anything that really requires something heavy duty. If you only read email, check websites, or read e-books, a tablet or netbook or something similar works fine. If you do graphics, programming, or many other things it is just impossible to leave a PC behind.

The only people who can really drop their PC are ones who don't do anything that really requires something heavy duty. If you only read email, check websites, or read e-books, a tablet or netbook or something similar works fine. If you do graphics, programming, or many other things it is just impossible to leave a PC behind.

This... The ones that claim the PC is dying or dead don't use them in the manner they're designed to be used and just play around.

You sir, are the kind of consumer electronic companies love. ;)
A lot of it I get as presents or from work (Two of my phones are from work, one is for personal calls).

I also get a lot from contests when I feel like entering them, but there haven't been many good ones lately.

If you think this decade is bad, just wait for the next one. I'm sure most face-to-face contact will be replaced by Jetsons-style video chats.

I actually agree that pc's are dieing if dieing means "more people using them and spending more time on them".

Reactions: Kim
If you think this decade is bad, just wait for the next one. I'm sure most face-to-face contact will be replaced by Jetsons-style video chats.
How has this decade been bad...?

There have been leaps and bounds in the field of computing (Not so much in the consumer niche, but everything will be there eventually). The consumer market is just a small percent of what is invented and advanced, and that is only due to the cost being too much for your average consumer.

I don't think PC's are on the way out. My needs for a PC have changed so rather than building a gaming rig like my last build I'm half way through building a HTPC/NAS for the living room.

Those that say the "PC" is dying have a vested interest in "cloud computing". Sorry, I remember the bad old days of dumb terminals and not being able to access my data because there was an issue with the mainframe or network. Seems the younger generation has to learn the hard way again and realize one of the main reasons PCs exploded onto the market was so people COULD access their data whenever they needed to.

As long as there is a need for servers, there will always be a need for PC's. Even if the "home pc" became a thing of the past, the server would remain and with it the user interface for those who would need to connect remotely from home.

So no, the PC is not dying. Maybe re-inventing it's self as it always does, but not dying.

Reactions: Kim
The PC is dying for average users like my mom.
She doesn't want anything other than google, ebay and email.

Power users, like PC gamers and the xenforo.com crowd will always need a PC.
But that is a relatively small segment.

The PC will never die. Sure, there were less PC the last years. Many were replaced by Notebooks. Some by Netbook and few by tablets and smartphones. But it never will die.

On what kind of hardware should I work? I use at minimum two display divices! I can't develop Software without a PC.

IMO, Apple is a really good example for this thread.
You've got the Notebooks (Macbook Airs), Laptops (Macbook Pro's), Desk-laptops (iMacs), Tablets (iPads), Phones (iPhones) and the Desktops (Mac Pro's).

The majority is probably using Laptops and Desk-Laptops (MBP and iMacs)
Then you have the Notebook users (MBA)
Then the Phones and Tablets (iPhone & iPad)
And as last, the Desktop users (Mac Pro's)

Only the ones who really need Desktops for Gaming, Really Hard Computer Work or Server **** will buy a Desktop.
The rest will buy a Laptop, Notebook or Tablet.

This is the proof that PC's will never die, else Apple would've discontinued them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom