I Think I Might Slang

I've looked at Google Wallet. I also have a paid add-on that I want to sell that I got developed for me awhile back and just kept forgetting to release. I like the license validation key addons they have on Xenforo but I do not want to create a separate site just to use it.

I don't know how to answer this while using a historical reference, while remaining politically correct, but still being accurate.... So I'm just going to say it...

Complaining about paypal is like someone coming out of the closet in the 1950's. Everyone is going to jump on that individual and claim how wrong he is and how it must be his fault. And of course that keeps others from speaking out against the status quo.

Paypal has an odd following in the sense that even if you can prove there is a problem with it, with hard facts and evidence, people still defend it as though it were The Holy Bible.
It's not an odd following if the "following" has actually not had any problems. That's the distinction. Like the number of people who complain about Star Wars vs the number of people who actually went to see and will continually go to see Star Wars movies. It's disproportionate. It's not actual evidence. Or rather, it's not complete evidence. The more used something gets, the more complaints will arise from its use. Given time, this will also be true with xenForo. What I'm saying is, you should never make a determination (on anything, really) based on the number of disgruntled threads. It's not a balanced assessment. You have to look beyond that. Anecdotal evidence has to be taken with a grain of salt.

It's not an odd following if the "following" has actually not had any problems.
I've know people who've had numerous problems with it, even costing them money out of their own pocket... They still defend it as though it were The Holy Bible.

So we'll have to agree to disagree, as I'd call that an odd following.

I've know people who've had numerous problems with it, even costing them money out of their own pocket... They still defend it as though it were The Holy Bible.

So we'll have to agree to disagree, as I'd call that an odd following.
But again, we're getting into the anecdotal and hyperbolic stuff. Which is why I recommend research beyond the threads exclusively about problems.

Paypal its business model involves freezing accounts for frivolous reasons. Once your account is locked you can not touch your money, but new funds can still enter your account. Nothing can go out. There area great many ways to gets your account frozen. For example: using a different IP than normal, withdrawing a high amount of your funds, paying or receiving from someone who has been flagged, etc.

All this can happen to anyone. From completely innocent charities to political parties or even wikileaks. Read this: http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/06/paypal-account-freeze/

Once your account is frozen for such frivolous reasons you then have to jump through a great many hoops through Paypals special frozen accounts support system, which is obviously designed to drive you into despair and make you give up.

I have been through this twice. The last time it took me 3 months and my lawyer getting involved before they released my account.

Paypal its business model involves freezing accounts for frivolous reasons. Once your account is locked you can not touch your money, but new funds can still enter your account. Nothing can go out. There area great many ways to gets your account frozen. For example: using a different IP than normal, withdrawing a high amount of your funds, paying or receiving from someone who has been flagged, etc.

All this can happen to anyone. From completely innocent charities to political parties or even wikileaks. Read this: http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/06/paypal-account-freeze/

Once your account is frozen for such frivolous reasons you then have to jump through a great many hoops through Paypals special frozen accounts support system, which is obviously designed to drive you into despair and make you give up.

I have been through this twice. The last time it took me 3 months and my lawyer getting involved before they released my account.
And that's why research benefits you. People's milage varies depending on what their situation was, and what they use PayPal for. And both sides of the spectrum need to be weighed. Not just, "I had a bad time. So you should listen to me and those other people like me." Particularly, if that group only insists they're the norm. But is actually a small percentage. And the problems they encountered, while for trivial reasons, are largely avoidable: http://mywifequitherjob.com/why-pay...nd-how-to-prevent-this-from-happening-to-you/

And that's why research benefits you. People's milage varies depending on what their situation was, and what they use PayPal for. And both sides of the spectrum need to be weighed. Not just, "I had a bad time. So you should listen to me and those other people like me." Particularly, if that group only insists they're the norm. But is actually a small percentage. And the problems they encountered, while for trivial reasons, are largely avoidable: http://mywifequitherjob.com/why-pay...nd-how-to-prevent-this-from-happening-to-you/
While that is a good article, its far from complete. There are some good articles about avoidign paypal account freeze to be found on talkgold.

FYI, try bitcoin if you're worried about charge backs. ;)
bitcoin is very exotic. Not many people will be able to pay you with that.

Its much better to use a few good payment service providers and offer all popular payment methods. This way you are not relying on paypal as your only source of income. Paypal is a popular payment method and therefore should not be discarded. But its highly dangerous to use it as your only route of income.

Yup, happened to me too. It took 12 months to unfreeze it because they kept giving me the run around.

Yup, happened to me too. It took 12 months to unfreeze it because they kept giving me the run around.
The run around they have created made me want to put my head through a wall. It's really taking the piss with customers. They make you go through various long bureaucratic processes for months, only to put you back at square one. Their impossible system lets you decide between ridiculous options. Their staff supposedly looses the evidence you send in or the records of previous contact. And all this again and again. Until you bring in lawyers and make clear you mean business.
I find this fraudulent. Plain and simple.

The run around they have created made me want to put my head through a wall. It's really taking the piss with customers. They make you go through various long bureaucratic processes for months, only to put you back at square one. Their impossible system lets you decide between ridiculous options. Their staff supposedly looses the evidence you send in or the records of previous contact. And all this again and again. Until you bring in lawyers and make clear you mean business.
I find this fraudulent. Plain and simple.

I ended up calling them and annoying them as much as possible. Finally someone helped me out. I am pretty sure in Europe they need to follow the same laws as banks do (they may even be classified as a bank). Outside of Europe they do whatever they want.

I ended up calling them and annoying them as much as possible. Finally someone helped me out. I am pretty sure in Europe they need to follow the same laws as banks do (they may even be classified as a bank). Outside of Europe they do whatever they want.
Yeah, once they know that you are not going to give up your money, then you are good.

I don't know how to answer this while using a historical reference, while remaining politically correct, but still being accurate.... So I'm just going to say it...

Complaining about paypal is like someone coming out of the closet in the 1950's. Everyone is going to jump on that individual and claim how wrong he is and how it must be his fault. And of course that keeps others from speaking out against the status quo.

Paypal has an odd following in the sense that even if you can prove there is a problem with it, with hard facts and evidence, people still defend it as though it were The Holy Bible.

I've had lots of PayPal transactions for E-Bay sales (sale of used books) and never been stiffed. I've also used it for countless other personal purchases.

That said, I fully understand the issue when it comes to selling what basically is a non-tangible item (software) in that manner. The risks are very different.

At lot of it, too, is that every niche on the internet has its own collection of loud, obnoxious, know-it-all fan bois, most of whom aren't worth listening to. People need to educate themselves and make their decisions without regard to the fan bois or their opposites.

Top Bottom