XF 1.3 I Share an IP With EVERY User

taylor_smith

In the ACP, you can check a user's IP to see if it matches any other users' IP.

I share an IP with literally every other user. My "IP Addresses" tab shows dozens-to-hundreds of different IPs every day. I only access my account from three locations, and never via proxy or ad blocker (no browser plugins installed).

What's the deal?

What's the IP? If you use a proxy service like CloudFlare or a load balancer, it may well be that IP. (If that's the case, you need to make a change in config.php or your webserver configuration to have it report the original IP.)

What's the IP? If you use a proxy service like CloudFlare or a load balancer, it may well be that IP. (If that's the case, you need to make a change in config.php or your webserver configuration to have it report the original IP.)

It's dozens-to-hundreds of different ones every day. Not sure I should list them here, but they're all different. It's only me--none of the other super admins.

No CloudFlare (any longer). I'll double check config.php.

If it's all over the place, it could be related to an add-on doing something that causes an IP to be logged (posting a message, as an example, though many other things).

Probably an addon.

When XenForo first came out I created an addon to welcome new users with a conversation. Not too much later I realized I also shared an IP with every user, because the messages were being generated by them. I had to change the addon not to record IP addresses while creating that conversation.

Probably an addon.

When XenForo first came out I created an addon to welcome new users with a conversation. Not too much later I realized I also shared an IP with every user, because the messages were being generated by them. I had to change the addon not to record IP addresses while creating that conversation.

I use an addon like that. @borbole's new user welcome addon. Maybe that's it. How'd you adjust the addon?

I use an addon like that. @borbole's new user welcome addon. Maybe that's it. How'd you adjust the addon?
There's some flag in the datawriter. I don't use the addon anymore but I will dig it up and edit this post.

Edit:

The addon should include the following:
PHP:
$messageDw->setOption(XenForo_DataWriter_ConversationMessage::OPTION_SET_IP_ADDRESS, false);

You can pass that on to the author, who should know how to work it into his addon :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom