XF 1.5 I need immediate support. I'm trying to move my forum directory to the homepage

Brad Padgett

Hello,

I believe I've done it right. I moved the files directly to public_html and got rid of the other directory. Meaning the core files and folders are in public_html

I then renamed the board url to (www.thexboxcloud.com).

It showed the site but the site does not have any images and the style I was using does not show.

Any help?

Rob has suggested enabling CloudFlare's development mode, twice, have you done that, yet?

What does CloudFlare Development mode mean?

I don't see the point but I just enabled it for you.

Nothing has changed since enabling.

Let me ask you something. I place the board url as www.thexboxcloud.com

I put all the files and folders directly in public_html

I left the homepage url option blank because I use CTA Featured Threads so instead I put for the index page route > threads/featured (so I can have homepage news)

Does all of this seem correct?

If so I will have to find out why the css is not appearing. It seems to be the only thing after examining. The admincp is normal and everything.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Sometimes even if you don't see the point in something, doing it anyway is important just to rule it out.

Everything you have done so far seems to be correct.

But we're now literally at a point where we can't do anything else. Assuming all of the files are there - which they are from what you have said and done so far - it makes no sense for CloudFlare to be returning a 404 (not found) response on these files. But, ultimately, the response code returned is coming directly from the web server, or indeed any sort of proxy/caching layer in between (e.g. CloudFlare).

So, really, the only thing left to do is to contact CloudFlare technical support and see if they can help you.

I also think taking cloudflare out of the equation is ultra important. Once this is resolved, at the server end then by all means have cloudflare back on it but it' more of a hindrance than a help and I speak from experience as a long time cloudflare user.

The developer mode just ensures your server handles everything and it should bypass cloudflare. Since I'm still seeing a cloudflare error page for the CSS I'm wondering if this has been done properly because it should NOT be returning a cloudflare page. Personally, I would disable it entirely until this is resolved because cloudflare doesnt help one bit in troubleshooting server problems.

We're just trying to help you here thats all.

It has just dawned on me that this could be a file permission issue. I know you moved files - did you do that with SSH? Is it possible that some files have taken on permissions from the SSH user or even become owned by the SSH user you are logged in as?

I would check the file ownership and permissions on css.php for starters. If not this then I strongly suggest taking cloudflare out of the picture so we can help further.

Cheers,

Rob

I was also stucked in same problem previously :P (but was transferring website to new Server )and at that time changing file permission worked for me but can't say anything clear about permission error until cloudflare get out if this all :D

Regards

I also think taking cloudflare out of the equation is ultra important. Once this is resolved, at the server end then by all means have cloudflare back on it but it' more of a hindrance than a help and I speak from experience as a long time cloudflare user.

The developer mode just ensures your server handles everything and it should bypass cloudflare. Since I'm still seeing a cloudflare error page for the CSS I'm wondering if this has been done properly because it should NOT be returning a cloudflare page. Personally, I would disable it entirely until this is resolved because cloudflare doesnt help one bit in troubleshooting server problems.

We're just trying to help you here thats all.

It has just dawned on me that this could be a file permission issue. I know you moved files - did you do that with SSH? Is it possible that some files have taken on permissions from the SSH user or even become owned by the SSH user you are logged in as?

I would check the file ownership and permissions on css.php for starters. If not this then I strongly suggest taking cloudflare out of the picture so we can help further.

Cheers,

Rob

I was also stucked in same problem previously :p (but was transferring website to new Server )and at that time changing file permission worked for me but can't say anything clear about permission error until cloudflare get out if this all :D

Regards

Thank you. Everyone is so nice here. Actually I did CHMOD a few file permissions for a mod that I had installed. I will check and see if that fixes the issue.

I appreciate everything this community is about. You guys are great.

I will let everyone know when the issue is fixed. I have made a ticket with cloudflare support and I'm waiting to hear back now. Thank you.

Was this your server, or cloudflare? It doesn't present as a caching issue as error pages should never be cached.

I'm not sure. My host just magically got it back up to where it should be. However, they did say something about needing to install something called Zend Loader. I believe that may have something to do with their quick fix.

To my knowledge, Cloudflare has done this before. I myself have experienced times where I would ftp files and have them upload incomplete. It has it's way of strange behavior.

In the past purging the cache would fix the issue after a few moments of troubleshooting, though this by far was the worst case I have seen.

Now I have never encountered an issue with files not being there at all, in the past they were just not showing when loaded. Nothing ever with a 404 error.

File permissions could be responsible. Several core folders were CHMOD at 0777. When being moved, this may have caused the files not to load. But it could have been anything. I definitely believe cloudflare has something to do with it.

From what you are describing here, it seems surprisingly that cloudflare is unlikely to be at fault (just in this case).
Thing is, cloudflare was taken out of the equation with developer mode..... your server actually was, in fact, returning a 404 or maybe a 500 error when requesting the css file - which is nothing to do with cloudflare.

I've found cloudflare to be a big plus, but it does get in the way when things go wrong. Glad you got it sorted though.

To my knowledge, Cloudflare has done this before. I myself have experienced times where I would ftp files and have them upload incomplete. It has it's way of strange behavior.
Errrr.. why aren't you totally bypassing CF if you are FTP'ing files. Can't you use the direct IP instead of the domain name for your ftp client? Or are you on a shared hosting plan with a shared IP that requires you to use a domain name?

Errrr.. why aren't you totally bypassing CF if you are FTP'ing files. Can't you use the direct IP instead of the domain name for your ftp client? Or are you on a shared hosting plan with a shared IP that requires you to use a domain name?

I'm actually on a linux VPS with 12 GB of RAM.

I do use my ip to ftp. I can account for issues in the past related to any form of upload, direct or by ip. Their caching system is a pain. Which is why I use page rules to keep the site functioning properly and definitely do not use the rocket loader.

I'm actually on a linux VPS with 12 GB of RAM.

I do use my ip to ftp. I can account for issues in the past related to any form of upload, direct or by ip. Their caching system is a pain. Which is why I use page rules to keep the site functioning properly and definitely do not use the rocket loader.
Was pretty sure if you went via IP, it bypassed CloudFlare completely and went direct to the box... that being one of the reasons that folks used cloudflare was to hide the IP's since they could be attacked directly via IP.
If that is the case, then no caching should be occurring for any traffic that is going via direct IP.... or at least that's my understanding of it.
Are you saying that even the IP is scrubbed/proxied through CloudFlare before it gets to the server?
Will re-routing through CloudFlare affect my use of FTP uploading?
_I8Lw0.png

Damon
May 08, 2014 23:15

Using CloudFlare may affect how you ftp. You should either FTP to your server's IP (ftp://yourserverip/)
address or to ftp.yourdomain.com.

I think this thread has had enough. The situation has been fixed.

@Tracy Perry Cloudflare has been known to cache everything, including ftp uploads. I am not one to believe cloudflare bypasses any ip, especially considering your ip is apart of their dns record system. You may use their service outside of your own dns but that does not mean they do not directly connect to your system first. I do not know the ins and outs to give you an example, all I can say is it's happened to me before.

Staff may close this thread anytime.

@Tracy Perry Cloudflare has been known to cache everything, including ftp uploads. I am not one to believe cloudflare bypasses any ip, especially considering your ip is apart of their dns record system. You may use their service outside of your own dns but that does not mean they do not directly connect to your system first. I do not know the ins and outs to give you an example, all I can say is it's happened to me before.
Well, I hate when people give what appears to be incorrect information as fact. I have 4 of my sites DNS hosted with CloudFlare and have the caching features all turned off with them - so their DNS hosting has nothing to do with it via direct IP. Last time I checked, direct access by the IP is not cached with CloudFlare.
CloudFlare uses AnyCast technology which maps your real IP (that you have in their DNS entry for your domain) to another IP so that the end users traffic goes through CF's system when being addressed by a domain name.
If you utilize the IP, you bypass the DNS lookup - going straight to the server.
I am "somewhat" familiar with setting up servers, and the routing and using (and the issues with) CloudFlare.

What FTP client do you use? If FileZilla - there will be a possible problem for you right there down the road. That program has been shown to cause numerous issues for users on this support forum in the past.

Cloudflare has no bearing on FTP when you connect to your server's IP address.
However, bear in mind everything you upload will be available to cloudflare via Http(s) and at that point can be cached (for serving via Http and https only).

Just to clear up that misunderstanding ;)

Well, I hate when people give what appears to be incorrect information as fact. I have 4 of my sites DNS hosted with CloudFlare and have the caching features all turned off with them - so their DNS hosting has nothing to do with it via direct IP. Last time I checked, direct access by the IP is not cached with CloudFlare.
CloudFlare uses AnyCast technology which maps your real IP (that you have in their DNS entry for your domain) to another IP so that the end users traffic goes through CF's system when being addressed by a domain name.
If you utilize the IP, you bypass the DNS lookup - going straight to the server.
I am "somewhat" familiar with setting up servers, and the routing and using (and the issues with) CloudFlare.

What FTP client do you use? If FileZilla - there will be a possible problem for you right there down the road. That program has been shown to cause numerous issues for users on this support forum in the past.

Well like I said, I'm not completely familiar with how it works.

I was using filezilla when this occurred. I was only told by my previous webhost they had believed it was cloudflare. What happened was the files were incomplete when uploaded.

Anyways, thanks.

Top Bottom