I Like 'Like'

I've been think some more about this. A simple way to leverage the like system to promote engagement would be to use it to auto-add members to your "Following" list based on an admin settable # of likes of that member's content. It's a one time addition, so the member can just take someone out, but if you paired it with better visibility/promotion of "Your Newsfeed" it would have the ability to get people engaged with people they LIKE. I've detailed some more about this in a Suggestion.
^^
But that IS simple. It would just make the Newsfeed far more useful, and it would promote engagement between like minded members. And it would do it without making the Like system any more complex at all! :)

Maybe you can implent "Likes quota" per user a day feature. That way likes would be more special and rare.

Is this still being worked on? I'd love one specifically for us entitled "WTF?!" ;)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.25446/

Likes are the most immediately addictive part of xenforo, once those little red alerts start appearing... you are hooked! :D

The Alerts are great ! Like is a great aspect of the killer Alert System.

Some of us don't LIKE TO BE LIKED :mad:
I don't want to rain on the 'Like parade', but I feel in the end it will be exploited by spammers just like signature links are a reason to post in threads.
RIP AnthonyCea. Spam never ended up being much of a problem.

A few of my members have suggested having a 'like' feature in the past, and i've always been against it on the basis that it will encourage people to just click on 'like' rather than posting and adding content. Sort of an easier way of just posting 'LOL'

However, whilst I still think thats an issue, i'm starting to see it from the other perspective, that members will make an effort to put better content into their posts so they can earn 'likes' as well as give them.

I've decided I now like the idea :)

An admin tool may be something to investigate at some point. I simply want to avoid users soliciting likes in order to be able to compare their Likes stats with other users in a 'most liked users' list etc.

On our big board (still on vB), we have a very small number of users who obsess on post counts. There is one who actually PMs us whenever I update the stats and the post counts change--he actually keeps a copy of each post he's ever made on his computer, and also marks down his post count each night to make sure it doesn't change. Someone like this is not what I'd want seeing their total number of likes, for that same reason--they'll obsess over it. Any forum stat can turn into a p!$$ing contest, as we say here on our side of the pond.

When we move to XF, I know I will have those vocal few who will want to see post counts under the avatars. I'm going to "conveniently" say that XF can't do it... ;) (Fortunately, they are not tech savvy enough to look into it further.) Usually though, they complain a bit in a forum thread, complain to the forum owner by email, quit the forum for a week or two, and then come slithering back... :D

Can we turn this into a general reputation discussion?

Please fill me in, as I'm still learning about the XenForo features -- is the reputation system done away with entirely, in favor of the Like system? Is it at all possible to bring the old system back?

Can we turn this into a general reputation discussion?

Please fill me in, as I'm still learning about the XenForo features -- is the reputation system done away with entirely, in favor of the Like system? Is it at all possible to bring the old system back?

There is no reputation system in XenForo. Only the Like system, which is a "Positive Reputation" if you wish to call it that.

Please add the dislike to Xenforo so I can knock Kier off of his 'like pedestal' !!!

? This is the house of three guys that are bringing us a fine product. If they are on a pedestal it is because of who they are and the work they have done for us. I think you could dislike all you want but I don't think it would either tear down or improve Kier's standing with the members out here.

I know I am asking a dumb question but do you enjoy spoiling a party?

Great post Mikey, you got Shelley to like it, that is one of the perks of trolling trolls on Xenforo !!!
rolleyes.png

?

Top Bottom