XF 2.2 I have just imported a vb forum

lobsterpasties

and this all went very well indeed. I used cut down post and thread data to reduce the time, and everything seemed to be fine.
I plan to remove the XF instalation and do this again (perhaps more than once) when I know how everything works.

I have found a lot of issues regarding forum permissions and admin permissions etc, I still can't post a poll :) but I am sure these will work out.

There are however a couple of things which confuse me.

If you intend to retain the IDs of the imported forum, do not create any content at all: categories, forums, user groups, members, threads, etc.
If you do, you will not be able to retain IDs due to duplicate entry errors.

Firstly the above, why would I want to retain the id's? I don't really know what that means.
Secondly surely I need to have an admin user to be able to set the site up etc, will this not cause me an issue?
Finally I can't set user permissions, forum permissions etc without the users/forums in place so how do I organise that.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly the above, why would I want to retain the id's? I don't really know what that means.
It means user 1 in VB is user 1 in XF.
Thread 1,000 in VB is thread 1,000 in XF, and so on.

Secondly surely I need to have an admin user to be able to set the site up etc, will this not cause me an issue?
No, that is a special case and is merged with ID 1 in VB.

Finally I can't set user permissions, forum permissions etc without the users/forums in place so how do I organise that.
That needs to be done after the import is complete.

Thank you Paul, so basically this is for SEO purposes and bookmarks etc I assume. That is something that I have no concerns about as the forums are all private.

Understand the merging of user id 1, that's obviously the first admin in vbforum.

I shall mess with permissions and then I know how to do it quickly when the import is done. Thanks for a quick response.

Thank you Paul, so basically this is for SEO purposes and bookmarks etc I assume.
It's not really for SEO as the URLs change anyway.

Some people just prefer to retain IDs - forum members can be very particular about certain things.

It also makes redirection easier as you can implement basic rewrites, rather than using the add-on script and retaining the import log table in the database.

Top Bottom