I find $this->_unsettling($facebook)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't explained anything in regards to this thread. Why would facebook notify me that they removed a non-existent cell number from my profile page, and what gives them the rights to remove it anyways when they know it belongs to me (or I would not have been notified)?

Lawrence, it was added somehow, someway. It didn't magically appear. It DOESN'T happen. Someone added it to your profile.

And the notification is given because they are under the impression the cell # was reused. How hard is that to understand? I have explained it every which way. I know you won't listen to me, Chris said the same thing. Maybe that will change your mind. Jeeeeeeez

Hello Mrs. Lawrence, you've done nothing wrong :)

Generally speaking, yes, as long as you have physical possession of a cell phone and can reply to a text, you could confirm it as your own.

And I think (assume) when you gave her the phone, that it was your intention that it would be her phone and thus her number.... But being the good man you are, you would continue to pay for it in your name. (y)

So that part has all worked by design and intention (no worries). :)

The interesting point that you have noticed though is "some how" a NEW phone number which has only been around for 2 weeks (?) was associated with your account which has been de-actived for over a year (?). My explanation for that isn't "magic" it is "automatic association by relation" (neither of your doing per say, but a result of this)

Again, answer how you have access to such information, or are you just using something you have seen in the movies.

My wife entered the number this afternoon (and rightly so, it is her phone) and shortly after I received the email notifying it was removed from my account. That phone number was never a part of her account or my inactive account. No one added it to my account, no one could have as it didn't exist until I purchased it (just before Christmas), it doesn't matter if it was re-used or not. Why would facebook email me?

No, it didn't magically appear, facebook looked up the owner, and instead of asking the owner what they wanted to do, they informed them what they would do, and that is what concerns me.

No, it didn't magically appear, facebook looked up the owner, and instead of asking the owner what they wanted to do, they informed them what they would do, and that is what concerns me.
It shouldn't concern you. Because if it was your number and not what you wanted them to do then you would be able to rectify that by not verifying or complaining to Facebook.

As it happens...
My wife entered the number this afternoon (and rightly so, it is her phone)

EDIT: My brain hurts.

Lawrence, I hope we get to the bottom of this. Maybe get Adam to check it out. He has contacts in the government.

It shouldn't concern you. Because if it was your number and not what you wanted them to do then you would be able to rectify that by not verifying or complaining to Facebook.

That's just it, I never verified anything with facebook, I was never asked to, nor given a link to do so.
As it happens...

EDIT: My brain hurts.

Lawrence, I hope we get to the bottom of this. Maybe get Adam to check it out. He has contacts in the government.

I'm not that concerned, it's just discerning. Something tells me if I never created a facebook account, they would have emailed me anyways. I wonder what facebook would do if I activated my account and added my wife's cell number to my profile? After all it is in my name, and I can stop payment at any time.

I just find this bothersome.

If you use a Facebook account for developing, that account has to be verified. Otherwise you'll have no access to developing tools with that account (I don't know if you needed that). You may have verified it with a credit card, but chances are that you used a phone number and forgot about it. Phone numbers used for verification are automatically inserted into your Facebook profile by Facebook. I was also surprised to find mine.

The other option is that- if it is an iPhone which uses that number- it is possible that you've accepted to allow Facebook to fetch your data from the iPhone automatically and use it in your profile. Facebook has a cooperation with Apple and is integrated in the most recent version of iOs very tightly. There is just a single question regarding the use of the Facebook app with iOs when you setup your iPhone. If you clicked "yes", Facebook knows your contacts, text messages and phone data (including number).

I wonder what facebook would do if I activated my account and added my wife's cell number to my profile?

Your wife's cell phone would ring with a text message. Once verified, you would then have that number attached to your profile, and your wife would have it removed from hers.

If not verified, nothing will happen.

If you have a developer account on Facebook you did have to verify your phone number. FB has had this check since they introduced fb platform in 2007.
When you activate your account for use on developers.facebook.com, they ask for you phone number to prevent abuse or something. So not much magic involved here...

If you want to find out what they know about you Lawrence, put in a ICO Section 6 Subject Access Request.

Be prepared to be disturbed at what they have though....
I wonder how much 'they have' on people that have never signed up for the service.
(Yes, there really are people that do not have a Facebook account.)

I wonder how much 'they have' on people that have never signed up for the service.
(Yes, there really are people that do not have a Facebook account.)
Precisely zero. Aside from it being highly illegal in most countries to harvest that amount of data for no good reason (especially from those that haven't "signed up"), what use would they have for it?

...what use would they have for it?
Yeah, that was my next question. :)

Lawrence, sorry to drag this convo off topic. I think it really boils down to facebook accessing the info that the iphone was purchased under and finding that it was you. The wording used 'removed a phone number from your account' may actually have been the 'glitch' in this situation since there wasn't any number to remove.
Probably best if you discuss this with them.

If you use a Facebook account for developing, that account has to be verified. Otherwise you'll have no access to developing tools with that account (I don't know if you needed that). You may have verified it with a credit card, but chances are that you used a phone number and forgot about it. Phone numbers used for verification are automatically inserted into your Facebook profile by Facebook. I was also surprised to find mine.

The other option is that- if it is an iPhone which uses that number- it is possible that you've accepted to allow Facebook to fetch your data from the iPhone automatically and use it in your profile. Facebook has a cooperation with Apple and is integrated in the most recent version of iOs very tightly. There is just a single question regarding the use of the Facebook app with iOs when you setup your iPhone. If you clicked "yes", Facebook knows your contacts, text messages and phone data (including number).

I can't believe this is still going on when I said the same in one of the first replies and Chris/Stewart have been banging their heads against the thread since :p

I never had a developers account on FB, I only created a normal one that has never been used by me. I think Allen nailed it with his explanation in the post above.

He also made a great point.

Speak to them.

Find out how they knew the number existed, how they knew the number is owned (as in bought) by you etc.

I'm now dying to know the end of this magical mystery.

I never had a developers account on FB, I only created a normal one that has never been used by me. I think Allen nailed it with his explanation in the post above.

If you never had a developer account , how the hack did you test the functionality Xenforo offers. Dude seriously this thread is a big joke and i feel sorry for Chris and others that try to explain you the exact issue.

Maybe Facebook is trying to troll you! There's a lot of that crap going around these days. PayPal, Facebook, practically any site that requires an authenticated account, etc. etc.

Lol. From the page describing the new NSA data center, which is: "...Shrouded in secrecy:"

But not shrouded enough for this guy to uncover absolutely everything and even come up with detailed schematics of what the place will look like!

I was actually somewhat surprised to see he did not sign the page with "Morpheus", and offering blue pills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom