I find $this->_unsettling($facebook)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. From the page describing the new NSA data center, which is: "...Shrouded in secrecy:"

But not shrouded enough for this guy to uncover absolutely everything and even come up with detailed schematics of what the place will look like!

I was actually somewhat surprised to see he did not sign the page with "Morpheus", and offering blue pills.

have you ever heard the "Mainstream Media" (CNN, CNBC, FOX, etc.) reporting about this ?

I got a shock one day when someone who was a contact on Facebook sent me a text message to my phone. I had never added the phone to facebook, nor did this person have my number, but I had used that phone to browse Facebook. I guess it was in the Terms and Conditions of the App that they would then add your phone # to your profile.

Very annoying!

If you never had a developer account , how the hack did you test the functionality Xenforo offers. Dude seriously this thread is a big joke and i feel sorry for Chris and others that try to explain you the exact issue.

First of all my name is Lawrence, not Dude.

I never had a developers account, I used a normal FB account to test FB joining and postings for my wife's site; shortly after XenForo was released. She asked me to.

I purchased the IPhone last month (as a Christmas present); I never had an active FB account for nearly 2 years. So, no, I could not have put the cell number into any field on FB; or anywheres for that matter, it's new.

So, how did FB know it belonged to me, to email me? In Canada, cell numbers are not public, there are private. In fact they are going to be made public at the end of this month. And yet, FB still accessed my cell information, and emailed me. My question was how, and Allen gave me a reasonable answer (even though cell information is private in Canada, for the rest of this month anyways, FB still had access to it to know to email me).

I have no time for this. I asked a simple question, and as Mert embarrassed me as a mod of this site, I have no choice: Jake or Slavik, please remove me as a mod.

I never had a developers account, I used a normal FB account to test FB joining and postings for my wife's site; shortly after XenForo was released. She asked me to.

Wait, as a FB developer myself.. back up to your statement above... to set FB connect to your site, you need a FB developer account. The ONLY way to get the connect API key/secret is creating an app at https://developers.facebook.com/apps The only way you can do that is by adding a cell phone or a credit card and either text verify the phone or purchase 5.00 worth of FB points to verify your card. So if FB joining works on your wife's site, you had to do this at some point and forgotten you did so as this policy as been in place since day one of 3rd party applications.

Also for non-developers.. By logging into FB on your phone or using any iPhone/Droid app for FB you give FB the write to use any and all metrics they see fit, this includes adding your cell number and it's model to your profile. They data mine models so they can metric what models are used most in what areas. I now in 2012, iPhone 4 was the widest cell phone to be used to play Farmville. They also add your phone number to save you the "hassle" of verifing it someday along with usage of your number as a metrics of user location.

I have no time for this. I asked a simple question, and as Mert embarrassed me as a mod of this site, I have no choice: Jake or Slavik, please remove me as a mod.

I think your over re-acting a bit here Lawrence, just walk away a few days and clear your head. No need to resign over 1 persons remarks towards you.

I created a developer's account and forgot all about it but now that I think about it, yes my phone number was required.

Wait, as a FB developer myself.. back up to your statement above... to set FB connect to your site, you need a FB developer account. The ONLY way to get the connect API key/secret is creating an app at https://developers.facebook.com/apps The only way you can do that is by adding a cell phone or a credit card and either text verify the phone or purchase 5.00 worth of FB points to verify your card. So if FB joining works on your wife's site, you had to do this at some point and forgotten you did so as this policy as been in place since day one of 3rd party applications.

You used to be able to create a developer account without any type of verification (i.e., phone, credit card, etc.). All you needed was a personal FB account. I'm not exactly sure when that changed, though that policy hasn't always been in place. However, in this circumstance, that does seem the most plausible explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom