I find $this->_unsettling($facebook)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence

I have an inactive facebook account, I created it only for developing purposes, and have never used it. I just received an email from facebook saying they removed a telephone number from my profile, because someone else put it in theirs. The phone number they gave me is my wife's cell number.

Here is the thing, I never typed in a cell number in my profile as I do not have one. However; the cell number is registered in my name (the IPhone is a Christmas present to my wife, I purchased earlier in December of 2012), how can facebook have access to cell companies records, and why? And why did they say they removed it from my profile when I never filled it out.

I always thought "big brother" was the government, but I'm wrong, it's facebook.

Yesterday, my brother was showing me text messages to his phone from facebook. They were in Spanish. He said he never entered his cell number in his profile. I'm unsure how they got a hold of his number.

Yesterday, my brother was showing me text messages to his phone from facebook. They were in Spanish. He said he never entered his cell number in his profile. I'm unsure how they got a hold of his number.

They obviously have access to cell companies records and that is scary. Here is the thing that bothers me, that cell number is registered in my name, and facebook removed it from me and "gave" it to my wife because she typed it in, and she uses facebook (I don't). I wouldn't care if they had never sent me an email stating what they done, because like I said, it is her cell number, but they did.

What's next, are they going to email me that I better activate my account and post a few things because they looked at my medical records and found I have a couple of weeks to live?

Yeah. It's weird. The only thing I can think of is, when you sign up for a facebook account, I believe they ask for a phone number for a text message confirmation.

Yeah. It's weird. The only thing I can think of is, when you sign up for a facebook account, I believe they ask for a phone number for a text message confirmation.

They didn't when I joined, I have an account, but I have no cell phone. If they have that now, they still would not have a cell number from me, and never have I received an email from them stating I had to fill that field in.

Did you or your wife use Facebook on your phone? The number was added by someone (either manually or by adding contacts from your phone automatically), not by Facebook.

Did you or your wife use Facebook on your phone? The number was added by someone (either manually or by adding contacts from your phone automatically), not by Facebook.

My wife does. She added that number to her profile today, but it is registered under my name. That is the part that I don't like; that they just let her add it even though they (obviously) know it's under my name, as they emailed me that they removed it from my profile (even though it was never added by me).

I dont think Facebook would add the number randomly. My G/F has a cell, same number for a while. Has Facebook. Same names,emails, etc. Her number has never randomly showed up. I'd have to lean towards forgetting you added it at one point or another, in one of various ways.

I'm going to try to explain this and I'm going to get trolled for it (cause it's going to sound like a tin hat theory).....

But as you've witnessed this, maybe you'll be a little "open" to the idea.....

A few years ago in the name of national security and national interest, most larger social media sites become "managed" in part (best language I can describe it) by the government. As well as all ISP (Internet Service Providers), and communication providers (cell phones / home phones for example).

So they're all "linked" as a "single organism" and easy to associate and track down criminals (idea reason for it). "Big brother" as you called it (your words), can easily record and monitory everything because everything in part is now one system (technically).

What you've experienced is a "glitch" (few random lose ends).

You and your household (wife, kids, anyone else living with you) on some level are identified as 1 "circle" (collective). And so anytime you do something it is "associated" with everyone directly associated with you (in your "circle / household"). The same is true with your wife... What she does is "associated" in part with you. You're still an individual, but also a "collective by association"

You've seen "glitch". They do not happen often (rarely). But in your instance the cell phone is in your name, the facebook account is in hers, but together you all are the same "collective" (individual).

This process normally happens without any notice. The "glitch" is this time you got one (when you shouldn't have).

I have an inactive facebook account, I created it only for developing purposes, and have never used it. I just received an email from facebook saying they removed a telephone number from my profile, because someone else put it in theirs. The phone number they gave me is my wife's cell number.

Here is the thing, I never typed in a cell number in my profile as I do not have one. However; the cell number is registered in my name (the IPhone is a Christmas present to my wife, I purchased earlier in December of 2012), how can facebook have access to cell companies records, and why? And why did they say they removed it from my profile when I never filled it out.

I always thought "big brother" was the government, but I'm wrong, it's facebook.

If you want to find out what they know about you Lawrence, put in a ICO Section 6 Subject Access Request.

Be prepared to be disturbed at what they have though....

I saw that movie... had Mel Gibson, right?

And just how would you have access to this information?

If you want to find out what they know about you Lawrence, put in a ICO Section 6 Subject Access Request.

Be prepared to be disturbed at what they have though....

They should not have anything, my account has never been active (yeah, I know, they do though). I understand that if someone inputs a phone number they can look it up and see who owns it; but to tell the owner that the number has been taken away from them and given to someone else is wrong. My wife gave them her phone number, facebook sent her a request to verify her number... it went to her phone, she verified it. Shouldn't it went to me, for me to verify that she can use it (and in the email explain how they associated that number with me), after all they knew enough to email me about having the number removed.

Shouldn't it went to me, for me to verify that she can use it (and in the email explain how they associated that number with me), after all they knew enough to email me about having the number removed.

No, that isn't how it works. They obviously have the # now. If they can pull the verification off of it THEY HAVE IT. It is no longer considered yours.

If I have my cell on my personal profile. Add another profile with another name, and use that number... once I send it to verify they number from my account, Facebook assumes the old owner no longer has that number. There are cases where numbers are reused on cell phones. That is why you weren't alerted. It doesn't matter who the phone #'s bill is in, anything like that.

Shouldn't it went to me, for me to verify that she can use it.
Is there any point in it going to you?

Let's say it wasn't your wife, and instead it was someone else and it was your phone. You would have received the text, ignored it and essentially the request from the Facebook user would be invalid and useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom