I am enjoying the Early Adopters atmosphere

Rigel Kentaurus

As the product has not reached it's first gold version yet, no aggressive sales force has been sent to convince people to migrate or adopt XenForo as a solution, and the customers are not that many, we, the crowd here, are pretty much early adopters and real enthusiasts

Or, to put in another words. A small town.

I like it .. and I know I will miss it when it's gone some months from now, when the crowd of new people come asking "How do I create a forum" a thousand times just followed by "Does the forum includes a **professional coffee maker". At that time the suggestion forum becomes a crowd infested thing of requirements that impact only one user but somehow that person thinks it's the most important feature, and in the presales forum people are asking to be sold the package for 1 dollar because they don't have enough money while others threaten not to buy if they don't include integration with YabaDabaDooCMS

And all of that is fine.

I do care about the Modding community. Somehow, right now, when a mod is released, the early adopters know how to .. well, chmod, create tables, edit templates, err.. upload files, find something in the ACP ...

One reason I stopped releasing hacks in vb.org was because people expected things for free, supported, and they could not solve the most basic problem (like .. um .. upload the file completely and not partially). I got annoyed at dealing with newbie admins. The newbie part was not so bad. The rude and impatient part of some of them was :)

And somehow, I feel that right now most people using XenForo pretty much know what they are doing. (well, of course a regular user wouldn't be using a beta in the first place).

But that will change, and that day on which XenForo is not a small town but a big place will come :) And I will probably be yearning for the early adopters time.

-------

BTW ... how is that professional coffee maker going ? You don't fool me, I know for a fact that feature has been in design since early 2004 and was even being tested. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/110255-vBulletin-4.0.0?p=704050&viewfull=1#post704050 Sure it was a feature considered for XenForo

I know the feeling. Actually, it was even better before the first beta release. There weren't too many people, everyone enjoyed themselves, kept liking other people and everything was just so.. positive. Upon release an additional amount of forums were created, this forum became an official support board and more and more new people came in every day. It's normal of course, but I do miss the time where some experienced coders were working together to create the kind of signature I have, while no code of XenForo had been released yet.

About the coffeemaker: not sure if it will be included, there's supposed to be some nasty bug right now. They have however added a milkshake maker to the new beta.I've added the image Kier released for this. As you can see it's great design already, and I think it will be used a lot in the future. This will also help with the friendly atmosphere, for who can get annoyed with a free milkshake in their hands?

XF milkshake maker.webp

... if all the early adopters work with us to help in that goal, we will be able to do so.

You won't see us for dust ... we'll all be busy running our shiney new boards!!!
biggrin.png

I must admit to liking the xF community for similar reasons - like-minded people with technical ability and a good bit of patience and understanding thrown in. A helpful, friendly, go-getting community that doesn't like "no"'s, but rather "maybe"'s and "that may be possible"'s and "we could probably do that if we work on it together"'s!!!

The fact that the development team are a part of that group too makes a real difference. Anyone here can make a suggestion, give some feedback, and get some acknowledgement that it has been heard, and hey ... in some cases ... even taken on board and put into practice!!!

I hope that it won't change dramatically too, but am enough of a realist to understand that once business ramps up for xF then they core team aren't going to have the same amount of time to come and play with us - hopefully some of the new team members will though (when xF grows), and our feedback, experiences, and observations will still feel as valid.

I'm rarely an early adopter of anything as I generally miss the boat and only find out much later on, but for a change I feel like I'm in at - well almost - the very beginning and it feels good.

It's a positive place and long may that vibe continue!

Cheers,
Shaun :D:D:D <--- two "extra" grins to indicate how positive it feels here ... lol

However, we all have to remember that each of US was once that "newbie admin". We've all asked questions when the answer was obvious, we were all impatient at one time or another, we all requested a feature that we just had to have and thought that everyone else did, as well. So don't look with scorn upon the "newbie admin" too much. You used to be one. ;)

I'm sure that we can keep this site a tight-knit community without ostracizing anyone, or making the members look clique-ish.
At least I certainly hope so.

It's not just new admins but also long-time admins. Too many times I've been given the impression from long-time admins of, "Join date 2011? Your opinion doesn't matter" or "Post count of 10? Puh-lease...". That's the kind of attitude that needs to not peek it's ugly head around here.

It's not just new admins but also long-time admins. Too many times I've been given the impression from long-time admins of, "Join date 2011? Your opinion doesn't matter" or "Post count of 10? Puh-lease...". That's the kind of attitude that needs to not peek it's ugly head around here.
to which I want to add...is why I am so glad that XenForo doesn't display things like join date, post count, etc. right in the post. This way, we all can focus on what is being said, not the status of the member.

Just want to add you dont have to be a newbie admin to ask a simple question, or learn new things. I have used vb, ipb, mybb, phpbb, smf, punbb, and now running my favorite xenforo. I have been a forumer for 4 years... I learn new things everyday, and that isnt a bad thing. Im a Guru in vB and MyBB although I dont like vb anymore. Anyways my point is your never to experienced :)

As long as the 60's and 70's rebels and hippies are kept under control by management things are great here !!
:mad:

You're in an unusually happy mood Anthony ... lol
biggrin.png

You're in an unusually happy mood Anthony ... lol :D

Just to clarify ... that was intended as a friendly joke ...
smile.png

I think the key xF thing is that it is - "Forums rethunk" (and I shall claim this if it catches on ...
tongue.png
)

Contrary to popular belief, I do have a sense of humor (or how ever you Brits spell it).

Right Kier ? (don't let the emoticons scare you)

Just want to add you dont have to be a newbie admin to ask a simple question, or learn new things. I have used vb, ipb, mybb, phpbb, smf, punbb, and now running my favorite xenforo. I have been a forumer for 4 years... I learn new things everyday, and that isnt a bad thing. Im a Guru in vB and MyBB although I dont like vb anymore. Anyways my point is your never to experienced :)

Can you tell us what you liked/didn't like about these other forums vs. xenforo? Sounds like you have a lot of experience!

Can you tell us what you liked/didn't like about these other forums vs. xenforo? Sounds like you have a lot of experience!
Main thing is its stability is way to good for a beta compared to vb 4.0 and 4.1. and its futuristic appearance and features which sets it apart from other software. Also how its developers are well known and experienced so I had no doubt of choosing xenforo. lol I purchased it within a week of finding out about it, and its background.

Top Bottom