1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 HUGE mistake - Deleted Category

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by NYCFC, Apr 29, 2014.

1. NYCFC

NYCFC Member

I made a huge mistake a minute ago and deleted a category with thousands of posts.
    Is there any way to undue this without a backup?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. NYCFC

NYCFC Member

I have a mysql backup from yesterday and if I restore that I should be fine right?
  4. Brogan

Yes, but you will lose any content or changes since then.
  5. NYCFC

NYCFC Member

Alright that's fine. The thing I'm worried about here...
    My site has been down since yesterday. The reason being due to a host migration.
    The back-up is from the old host. Can I restore that on my new host without affecting the name servers or messing things up?
  6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

If the directory structure is duplicated (the same on the old as the new, like if it was in /community then it is still in /community) then you should have no problem with it (and the domain remains the same).
    NYCFC likes this.
  7. Brogan

It really makes no difference.

You can copy the files to a new directory structure and import the database to a new domain/URL.

All you need to do is update the Board URL in the ACP.
    NYCFC likes this.
  8. NYCFC

NYCFC Member

Alright guys I appreciate that I have a full back-up anyway which was restored and clearly works so if it goes bad I can always just revert.
  9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

So few people backup things properly.
    I'll guess that 80% of Xenforo users don't have reliable backups.

It would be wise to have Xenforo come with automated backups as soon as it is installed.
    Surely it would save many people's butts.
  10. NYCFC

NYCFC Member

I had a backup but it was an automated from 12 hours before I did that so I lost some posts. Thankfully it was an overnight thing.