How would you recommend mass emails for large databases?

Phases

Just looking for feedback on how Xenforo might handle emailing large number of users, or if it might be recommended to move to an outside system for say, 500k, 1 million, or 1.5m emails.

Would we be more limited by our server/php than we would XF itself? Anyone have any experience at this scale?

Appreciate any insight :)

I might wait for this ...

For what its worth, this add-on is getting a complete rewrite from the ground up and will have the ability to seamlessly auto generate a newsletter via cron and have it added to Sendy.co. Mailchimp and others might be supported at some point but we are rewriting it with our usage in mind.

All features will be retained that currently exist and the premium template will be merged into this add-on. The new price will be $75 and we will be retiring the Premium Newsletter template add-on.

Xenforo might handle emailing large number of users
If you're emailing that many users, integrate Sendy with XF instead. XF is not a mailing program, and that many emails would cost far too much through many online emailers. Sendy via Amazon SES... extremely cheap bulk email with complete professional control and statistics.

Provided you have some basic Linux system administration skills, a $5 per month VM from digital ocean could be a very cheap solution.

Provided you aren't sending absolutely spammy material, the hard part of running a mail server is being backlisted due to compromised accounts. Just sending email without needing to worry about handling email receiving is the easy part.

SendGrid Lite Plan is $0,10 per 1k... same price as SES.
True... missed that. Compared to Amazon you lose: The Lite plan excludes the following features: advanced reporting and analytics, Event Webhook, Parse Webhook, Subuser API, DKIM customization, dedicated IPs, IP whitelabeling, IP warm up, feedback loops, Marketing Campaigns.

Sendy has all this, one time fee to own it on your server and SES covers the IP requirements to ensure 99.9% throughput.

So you are correct, you can do it for the same price through Sendgrid, just without all the important stuff that you can do with Sendy + SES.

Last edited:
I second the use of sendy.co - I use it myself and been very happy with it. The costs are very low with SES and sendy is pretty solid.

Top Bottom