XF 2.1 How to turn off bouncing email ?

ShinLim

At first my site allow member register not have to verify email address, so they use false email address alot, which is fake email, spam email, etc... (like dsaddsad@gmail.com)
This happened long time ago, maybe years, I wonder how can I stop from receiving it ? It all go to Spam in my gmail

1607330848552.webp

Here is details in email

Code:
The original message was received at Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:36:53
from localhost [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<abc@yahoo.com>
    (reason: 552 1 Requested mail action aborted, mailbox not found)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mta7.am0.yahoodns.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 552 1 Requested mail action aborted, mailbox not found
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Code:
The original message was received at Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:19:59
from localhost [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<abc@gmail.com>
    (reason: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
<<< 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
<<< 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
<<< 550 5.1.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser cl3si391583pjb.29 - gsmtp
550 5.1.1 <abc@gmail.com>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.5.1 RCPT first. cl3si391583pjb.29 - gsmtp

Because these are all not exist email so I want to stop receiving it, can I turn it off ?
This is my setting in XF, it's just blank and it use my default email address

1607331236025.webp

Can anyone help me please

The concept of email bounces are pretty much fundamental to how email works, so they're always going to be sent.

If you don't want to read them, you'd likely want to setup a mailbox specifically for them and set the "bounced email address" option to point at that.

I like to know whose emails are being bounced, in case they are invalvid.
Then I can try to alert them that their email is invalid.

But quite often the emails are flagged as spam by their email server
Its a big minefield, and cause me lots of time and stress

The concept of email bounces are pretty much fundamental to how email works, so they're always going to be sent.

If you don't want to read them, you'd likely want to setup a mailbox specifically for them and set the "bounced email address" option to point at that.
hello the email settings in XenForo ACP is there a way to invalidate a user and not send anymore emails to the bounced emails?

Yes it works VERY well, and is built in. I set it up per the instructions, and it will change the user's state when there is a hard bounce. (bounced status) On their next visit, it prompts them to pick a new email address. (and it stops trying to email them until then) Soft bounces are logged as well as auto replies. If you have that turned on in your email setup screen, you can view the logs at adcp -> logs -> email bounce log

Here is my log today, with the emails blocked out. "Hard bounces" get auto disabled by the s/w, so it wont send again until they visit and put in a valid email.

1615286429029.webp

When there is a "hard bounce", it changes their status in the user record, to look like this:

1615286703393.webp

another question should the bounced email address (in my case cPanel account - be turned off to send emails ) just allow bounced email address I have set to receive emails or does it matter ?

I gave mine full access, never a problem. Of course youll want to make sure you have dmarc, tkip, dkim, reverse dns, and all that happy stuff that cpanel can automatically set up for you.

I gave mine full access, never a problem. Of course youll want to make sure you have dmarc, tkip, dkim, reverse dns, and all that happy stuff that cpanel can automatically set up for you.
Ok great. I did a few tests with and ran the cron for each one. Bounce and unsubscribe and the only one that works for me is pop account port 110 no encryption. Not sure why.
Does it matter if it’s pop account and not encrypted (No TLS)

Last edited:
Ok no worries thanks again for your help.

- For my case using cPanel.

I was able to use pop3 port 995 and select ssl instead of tls and it works. No errors.
Thanks again for you help. :)

piro

I'm personally using port 993 (Imap) for bounced email handler, and email unsubscribe handler settings w/SSL. For regular email transport method I am using SMTP port 465 w/SSL. I have the same settings on both of my Xenforos, and the bounce feature works well for us.

Best regards

I'm personally using port 993 (Imap) for bounced email handler, and email unsubscribe handler settings w/SSL. For regular email transport method I am using SMTP port 465 w/SSL. I have the same settings on both of my Xenforos, and the bounce feature works well for us.

Best regards
Ok. I tired that as well. And it works. The secret I think with cPanel is to use SSL when adding your imap info port 993 and select SSL not TLS and then it works.
thanks again for this info I just switched it over to imap 993 with ssl and no errors when I manually run crons for bounce and unsubscribe. Your the best @Rhody totally appreciate your time and replies. ;)
Kind Regards,
Spiro

I have another issue now, I have an email provider that sends emails postmark app(dot)com
but they have there own service that marks emails as bounced so I don't get an email back that tis bounced it just then stops users from getting a notification but it does not show up in bounced logs so it never invalidates the email in XenForo.

so my bounced email I used does not get the email. does anyone use another provider just to send emails and has this configured still to allow bounced emails to there server email ?

sorry for all the questions
Spiro

Well I found out that postmarkapp(dot)com has not forwarder. I would have to be an expert to use the api or find someone to create an api to do so but not much help. So I need to find another maybe try SES or some other service they can send (forward) all bounced emails to xf so they show in the log and xf works the magic instead of me handling it one at a time. :(

Yes it works VERY well, and is built in. I set it up per the instructions, and it will change the user's state when there is a hard bounce. (bounced status) On their next visit, it prompts them to pick a new email address. (and it stops trying to email them until then) Soft bounces are logged as well as auto replies. If you have that turned on in your email setup screen, you can view the logs at adcp -> logs -> email bounce log

Here is my log today, with the emails blocked out. "Hard bounces" get auto disabled by the s/w, so it wont send again until they visit and put in a valid email.

View attachment 248182

When there is a "hard bounce", it changes their status in the user record, to look like this:

View attachment 248183
I get the email bounce loggged correctly. However the bounced email user state is not getting changed automatically to email not valid (bounced) state. It still says in the awaiting email confirmation state. Any help

Top Bottom