XF 1.5 How to start making a template from scratch.

Etherus

Since we now have proper tags in the new 1.5 version I was looking into if it is possible to make somekind of template like this: Post List

Basically a stackoverflow kind of system on top of Xenforo I want.

I have been reading the documentation (the once I could find) but I am still not very clear how could one make a template totally from scratch? So basically how could I start with a totally white page and then fill in everything myself from there?

Is there any better information then this: Styling | XenForo
Most information they all seem to create a new template based on the xenforo template and then try to change stuff.

I tried this but it makes such a mess so that's why I am trying to look to build from scratch.

You can't.

All styles are child styles of default style, whether you want it or not. So they are never blank by default. You can replace entire content of template, but that will only make it harder to maintain and will cause issues with add-ons.

All add-ons rely on template modifications to change anything in existing templates. If you completely replace content of template that add-on modifies, add-on won't work. For custom add-on specific templates most (except for few badly written add-ons) add-ons reuse default style's HTML code to make it work with default style. If you completely change everything, pages of add-ons will look terrible without customization.

All XenForo forums use at least several add-ons. So if replace all default templates with your custom code, add-ons won't work and your style will be useless for anyone but you.

You can't.

All styles are child styles of default style, whether you want it or not. So they are never blank by default. You can replace entire content of template, but that will only make it harder to maintain and will cause issues with add-ons.

All add-ons rely on template modifications to change anything in existing templates. If you completely replace content of template that add-on modifies, add-on won't work. For custom add-on specific templates most (except for few badly written add-ons) add-ons reuse default style's HTML code to make it work with default style. If you completely change everything, pages of add-ons will look terrible without customization.

All XenForo forums use at least several add-ons. So if replace all default templates with your custom code, add-ons won't work and your style will be useless for anyone but you.

Thank you for the reply!, it is fine that it is only for me as I not use any add-ons however I think I figured it out now it looks to be something like this:

moderatorBar = small bar on top when logged in.
header = header
footer = footer
forum_list = main forum
header.css = for color
footer.css = for color
PAGE_CONTAINER = Seems to glue everything together.

This post helped me allot: How to change almost anything quickly and easily...

I did it exactly as he did to find everything.

Top Bottom