1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 How to Set Up Private Forum

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by abiola, Jul 25, 2014.

1. abiola

abiola Member

I have read how to set up a private forum by setting permissions but i realize that only the group that's granted access can see the forum on the forum page.

This is what i want to accomplish. I want everyone to see it as private but only those that have access can visit the forum. Just like what digital point did here.

digital point.PNG

How do i do that? Thanks

2. oman

oman Well-Known Member

You'd simple adjust the permissions of the specific node/s you want it applicable to. For the usergroups you don't want having access, you would revoke the 'View threads by Others' permission:

[​IMG]

For those who you want to see it, you would set it to Inherit, which would allow them to view the threads.

The result:

[​IMG]

3. abiola

abiola Member

@oman , That was very helpful. It worked. Thanks

4. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

I'd like to display a custom phrase inside and not "no threads to display". Which is the exact template where I can edit that?

5. abiola

abiola Member

I think i'd like that too if its possible.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The thread_list template uses that phrase (there_no_threads_to_display).

7. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

Yes, if there was only a way for a conditional statement like this to be used:

Code:
        <xen:elseif is="{$category.privateInfo}" />
            <li class="primaryContent">{xen:phrase something_else}</li>
        <xen:else />
            <li class="primaryContent">{xen:phrase there_no_threads_to_display}</li>
        </xen:if>

8. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

Oh well, I decided to hide the forum entirely and show it to mods/admins only, I believe now that's the most reasonable practice.