How to set the default time for users to stay logged in

Malchus

I want my forums to have no logout timeout. But the maximum is 60 minutes. Is there a way to set it to infinity?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Disabling the hourly cleanup is not recommended as it serves many important functions.
Can you enumerate what these functions are, Andy, and what the possible long-term negative effects are of disabling this cron job? Because I've had it disabled for months and haven't yet seen any obvious problems.

Can you enumerate what these functions are, Andy, and what the possible long-term negative effects are of disabling this cron job? Because I've had it disabled for months and haven't yet seen any obvious problems.

For one you will have orphaned attachments wasting space on your server.

The other big issue is that eventually your xf_sessions file will get really big and crash.
Sounds like they should maybe separate the stay logged in cron job from the others then, since it seems to be the only hourly cleanup that is not strictly necessary from a performance stand point, unless perhaps you have a very large forum with tens of thousands of members. Still, that should be an option for a forum owner/admin to choose. In any case, I would think that if you let it run periodically, once a week or month, it would prevent the kind of problem you mention here. Correct?

Well, Andy, if that's the case, I don't see any practical solution aside from leaving it permanently enabled and living with the limitation. I'll take my chances and see how it goes. It's worked fine for me for a year now, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Thanks, though.

Well, Andy, if that's the case, I don't see any practical solution aside from leaving it permanently enabled and living with the limitation. I'll take my chances and see how it goes. It's worked fine for me for a year now, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Thanks, though.

Just set it to run every 2 hrs then. Or 3, 4 hrs etc. No need to disable it completely. :)

Yes, I manually run it once a week on average, sometimes it's a bit longer. I'm not religious about it, don't do it every week on the exact same day, so no, haven't done anything to cookies. ;)

The other big issue is that eventually your xf_sessions table in the database will get really big and crash.

Okay well I followed this thread only a few weeks after it was posted and started, and I will say - it does cause issues long-term.
The storage and session does mess a LOT of things up and our table as Andy pointed out, is huge. we're talking 3.9Gb just on this table.
Issue is, what can we do to achieve the same results while not affecting everything else?

Trust me, it does and will affect your site, it's a matter of time. I had to trace myself back to this after over a year, just to find how/where/why my issues with some things started, and I am confident in saying it's 99% to be this.
Be careful. Everything is there for a reason.

Top Bottom