1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmaintained How To Serve Javascript and Static Images from Cloudflare CDN

How to serve your static images and javascript from Cloudflare CDN.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

8thos submitted a new resource:

How To Serve Javascript and Static Images from Cloudflare CDN (version 1.0) - How to serve your static images and javascript from Cloudflare CDN.

Read more about this resource...
    Learner and Marocinoh like this.
  2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Creating The Subdomain Screenshots

3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Adding The Subdomain to Cloudflare and Your Folders Screenshot

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Add Your Folders to Cloudflare and Xenforo Screenshots Continued

5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

MichaelDance and Learner like this.
  6. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

I just ran a test for your site and first byte time got a C for me. I wouldn't be discouraged by one test, there are more random factors involved, so try to average them out.
    8thos likes this.
  7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Yeah your right I see it now. I don't know what's going on. http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120613_RF_D86/

I think I'm getting points taken off because the static domain has cookies.

8. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Mike says xenforo uses a cookie-less subdomain but he says there is no advantage in the way he uses it.

I wonder how much of an advantage it would used it with a CDN like Cloudflare.

It would be interesting to see how much xenforo.com's score would raise by experimenting with Cloudflare.

9. luutruong

luutruong Active Member

hi...i dont know create subdomain in DirectAdmin :(
  10. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I will look that up for you when I get off work.
    luutruong likes this.
  11. luutruong

luutruong Active Member

yea..thank you
  12. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

We're going to be trying CloudFlare out soon - we're relatively happy to switch the name servers across - is there any reason not to?
  13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I mentioned in the resource that sometimes Cloudflare will make your site go offline. That's why I don't switch nameservers. Would you rather your whole site go offline and risk members not being able to access the site at all and always having to go through challenge pages to access your site or would you rather just speed up the site only using resources that can easily be switched back to your own server in case something goes wrong with Cloudflare?
  14. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

The challenge pages are only related to the security features which we're switching off so that's not an issue.

You're right, though, about the dependence on them and their reliability. I will look into it a bit further.

15. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to figure out how to synchronize the static.yoursite.com subdomain with the image folders inside your xenforo installation.

I know Jake knows the answer to this because he does something sort've similar with multiple domains for his own website.
  16. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Interesting.... I wonder how this would rank on multiple domain names.

For myself, we wanted a true cookie-less domain name... ie... Simply using a sub-domain does not complete the job.

sociallyuncensored.eu is the site, but we use sociallyuncensored.com for cdn reasons (for a true cookie less domain name).
  17. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

It does the job for my site. I don't think there will be any major difference in speed if the domain was cookie-less. I want a cookie-less domain only to see if it will raise my score on web page test sites.
    TheVisitors likes this.
  18. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

TBH, I don't pay attention to what WebPagetest says, it always shows slow for my forum, but the actual user experience is nice and fast.

Same page ran via Pingdom test

I've got my images and js being served from a cookie less domain set up (domain is www.z22se.co.uk, content served from cdn.z22se.com)
  19. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

8thos updated How To Serve Javascript and Static Images from Cloudflare CDN with a new update entry:

Using A Different Domain To Serve Javascript and Static Images From

Read the rest of this update entry...
  20. tafreehm

tafreehm Well-Known Member

anyone notice a difference with this trick ?