How to restrict user (or user group) to just one forum node?

jcm

I've been fiddling with permissions and I think I'm missing something that's probably basic and obvious.

I have about 10 forum sections for my 600 members. So far so good.

I want to create a new forum node where all 600 members still have access to view and post in, but I also want to create a new user group of, say, 10 new members that can only view and post in the new forum node, and all other forum sections are invisible to them.

Can someone please point me to the instructions or provide some guidance? Thanks in advance!

I've been fiddling with permissions and I think I'm missing something that's probably basic and obvious.
I have about 10 forum sections for my 600 members. So far so good.
I want to create a new forum node where all 600 members still have access to view and post in, but I also want to create a new user group of, say, 10 new members that can only view and post in the new forum node, and all other forum sections are invisible to them.
Can someone please point me to the instructions or provide some guidance? Thanks in advance!

It depends how you have your existing permissions structure set up.
The best system which is advised here is to give the Registered group the minimum permissions all your members have e.g. View probably including View content. Probably Conversation with 1 participant etc.
Then other usergroups are secondary and add stuff to that basic bundle.

Your restricted user group is a puzzle. If you set them to No/red on viewing generally I don't think you can override that on this specific forum. No/red overrides everything else.
The only way I can think of is to make a usergroup to parallel Registered e.g. Restricted.
Create those 10 accounts manually and make them Restricted instead of Registered. Make Restricted grey/ inherit permission on View - as they won't have anything to inherit on that they won't view anything.
Then use the Permissions link on the specific node you want to open to them, and adjust their Restricted permissions there.

I must admit I think the Permissions system needs more thought. It causes a lot of headaches as the long threads about it indicate.
The problem is that patterns of permission are not always straightforwardly linear hierarchical.
It would be good to be able to do an EXCEPT permission that governs all members EXCEPT the selected usergroup/s or user/s.

Top Bottom