XF 2.1 How to Reset Super Admin Password

The ACP login password is the same as your username password. If you forgot it, just click on forgot password.

It's still not letting me in the admin panel. When I try to login, it pauses and then it doesn't let me in. It doesn't even say the password is incorrect or anything. It lets me login from the front end, but not the back end.

Last edited:
It's really difficult to know from what you have said what might be causing this.

If you are logging in OK on the front end but not the back then it is obviously not the password.

So we'd really then be looking at it being an issue with the server, or an issue with an add-on you have installed.

Server issues could be things like problems with cached session storage, or your IP address changing frequently.

For the latter of those, it might be worth adding the following to your src/config.php file temporarily to see if it changes anything:

PHP:
$c->extend('session', function(\XF\Session\Session $session)
{
   $session->setConfig([
        'ipv4CidrMatch' => 0,
        'ipv6CidrMatch' => 0
    ]);
   return $session;
});

If that enables it to work then your IP address is changing every request and that invalidates your login session. Common reasons for a changing IP address would be some sort of VPN or proxy service being enabled on your internet connection, or some other proxy layer between the internet and your server, and your server is seeing different IPs from the proxy service rather than your real IP address.

If it's an add-on problem, then one way to rule that out is to add the following to src/config.php:

PHP:
$config['enableListeners'] = false;

If that enables you to login then I'd recommend disabling all add-ons from the "Add-ons" page, removing the config line above and then re-enabling them one-by-one to see which one causes the issue.

If you get into the Admin CP it may also be useful to see if there have been any server errors logged that provide any hints.

It's really difficult to know from what you have said what might be causing this.

If you are logging in OK on the front end but not the back then it is obviously not the password.

So we'd really then be looking at it being an issue with the server, or an issue with an add-on you have installed.

Server issues could be things like problems with cached session storage, or your IP address changing frequently.

For the latter of those, it might be worth adding the following to your src/config.php file temporarily to see if it changes anything:

PHP:
$c->extend('session', function(\XF\Session\Session $session)
{
   $session->setConfig([
        'ipv4CidrMatch' => 0,
        'ipv6CidrMatch' => 0
    ]);
   return $session;
});

If that enables it to work then your IP address is changing every request and that invalidates your login session. Common reasons for a changing IP address would be some sort of VPN or proxy service being enabled on your internet connection, or some other proxy layer between the internet and your server, and your server is seeing different IPs from the proxy service rather than your real IP address.

If it's an add-on problem, then one way to rule that out is to add the following to src/config.php:

PHP:
$config['enableListeners'] = false;

If that enables you to login then I'd recommend disabling all add-ons from the "Add-ons" page, removing the config line above and then re-enabling them one-by-one to see which one causes the issue.

If you get into the Admin CP it may also be useful to see if there have been any server errors logged that provide any hints.

One important thing I left out of all of this and it's most definitely related is that this website was recently migrated from a different host. So, this was the first time I tried to login into the admin panel since the migration.

Ok. Before we get to that, did either of my suggestions make a difference?

To be honest, I had to contact my host with your screenshot to ask them to do what your asking because I was lost. I have attached a screenshot of their response. I also attached a screenshot of what the dashboard looks like after I was able to login. I will be waiting for your response on how to proceed. Thanks!

Attachments

• xenforoscreen.webp
    xenforoscreen.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 39
  • xenforoscreen2.webp
    xenforoscreen2.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 38
The red banner which says “Server errors have been logged”, you may need to look in there and report back in case there are any clues as to what might have been causing the issue.

The red banner which says “Server errors have been logged”, you may need to look in there and report back in case there are any clues as to what might have been causing the issue.

So, I clicked on it to see the server errors and it immediately kicked me back out to the admin login screen and now won't let me back in.

Can you submit a ticket from your customer area? We may need to take a closer look.

Ideally we’d need an Admin login and FTP/cPanel login details. We will check some more things and this may be easier if we do it directly rather than you having to deal with us and your host.

Can you submit a ticket from your customer area? We may need to take a closer look.

Ideally we’d need an Admin login and FTP/cPanel login details. We will check some more things and this may be easier if we do it directly rather than you having to deal with us and your host.

Sure, will do that now

Top Bottom