XF 1.2 How to replace all the contents in a template using Template Modification

AndyB

I would like to be able to replace all the contents in a template using the Create Template Modification system, is this possible?

I mean making the same manual edits on multiple sites and styles. TMs could be better but generally it is mostly designed as a developer tool.

If I have multiple sites and I'm looking to standardize template modifications across them, is it best to use the above advice (direct template edits) along with parent/child styles, rather than create template modifications and export them via addons?

I think using Template Modification is much better. You can easily see what modifications you made by looking at your add-ons.

I mean making the same manual edits on multiple sites and styles. TMs could be better but generally it is mostly designed as a developer tool.

I gotcha. As long as the parent/child relationship is in-tact it only needs to be done once, though, right? I don't exactly like having to depend on maintaining that relationship.

I think using Template Modification is much better. You can easily see what modifications you made by looking at your add-ons.

It seems the main benefits are organization, independence from other styles, and being able to quickly toggle them on or off, all of which I consider to be rather large benefits.

The biggest downside I've noticed myself is the time it takes to make each of the individual replacements. Is there a quicker way to make multiple modifications, short of learning regex?

If I went the TM route I'd bundle them as addons. I've heard that each add-on, even something as small as a template edit, increases the time it takes a page to load. Is there any measurable performance difference between removing lines of code from a template (not commenting them out) versus using addons and TM's?

My other concern is ease of dealing with template changes, as @Chris D mentioned. How big of a hassle is it @AndyB?

Is there a quicker way to make multiple modifications, short of learning regex?

You shouldn't need to use REGEX at all.

I've heard that each add-on, even something as small as a template edit, increases the time it takes a page to load.

I disagree, I have over 200 add-ons on my forum and it's as fast as if I had no add-ons.

My other concern is ease of dealing with template changes

Not a big concern at all, rarely do templates change.

You shouldn't need to use REGEX at all.

I disagree, I have over 200 add-ons on my forum and it's as fast as if I had no add-ons.

Not a big concern at all, rarely do templates change.

I've tried searching around for best practices when it comes to using the TM find/replace system. Do you have any links handy where I can learn more about best practices?

Top Bottom