How to remove default user profile fields?

fredrikse

Hi,

I wonder how I can remove default user profile fields like those ones in the picture below?

user profile.webp

When I do my import from vBulletin I already have custom user profile fields which I intend to continue using in xenForo.

What may be easier is to copy the contents of the custom fields in vBulletin to the default ones in XenForo via a My SQL query.

The thing is, those default fields are called in lots of templates so removing them may cause template errors. I'm not sure, I haven't tested it.

But, the thing is, those fields - they're all default ones in vBulletin, aren't they? Why did the end up being "custom"?

If they are the default ones, the data will automatically copy over to the XenForo ones.

The vB importer recognizes vB's default location, occupation, and home page fields and imports those values into the corresponding default fields in XF. It shouldn't be a problem unless you aren't using vB's default profile fields for those things.

What may be easier is to copy the contents of the custom fields in vBulletin to the default ones in XenForo via a My SQL query.

^this^

If you end up with duplicate fields then a query is possible. Here is an example:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-for-gender-how-to-combine.21334/#post-271012

The thing is, those default fields are called in lots of templates so removing them may cause template errors. I'm not sure, I haven't tested it.

But, the thing is, those fields - they're all default ones in vBulletin, aren't they? Why did the end up being "custom"?

If they are the default ones, the data will automatically copy over to the XenForo ones.
The reason for those fields being custom ones is that I for a couple of years ago migrated to vBulletin from a custom forum that I had developed myself. Looking in the rear mirror maybe I should have used the default fields in vBulletin.

The suggestion to move, for example, the location information to the default field instead of having it in a custom field, sounds like a very good idea to me. I really don't want to get rid of any fields. Maybe just hide them from the members to see. Is that possible? I didn't find any settings to that in the options area.

The reason for those fields being custom ones is that I for a couple of years ago I migrated to vBulletin from a custom forum that I had developed myself. Looking in the rear mirror maybe I should have used the default fields in vBulletin.

The suggestion to move the location information to the default field instead of having it in a custom field, sounds like a very good idea to me. I really don't want to get rid of any fields. Maybe just hide the from the members to see. Is that possible? I didn't find any settings to that in the options area.

Custom fields can be hidden. But those 3 fields are not custom. Those are "integrated" user fields that do not have a "hide" option. But they can be manually removed with template edits.

Yeah, that makes sense. This should be easy enough to get around.

It's certainly possible to hide custom fields on a per field basis. This is what the options should be set as to completely hide a field - you may for your own purposes want to change their name so you know at a glance they're your old ones, but the settings below would hide them to members:

CustomUserFieldsRemove.webp

Custom fields can be hidden. But those 3 fields are not custom. Those are "integrated" user fields that do not have a "hide" option. But they can be manually removed with template edits.
I read it that he wanted to do the query to move the contents, but keep the vBulletin custom fields and hide them..

I dunno.

Either way, both bases covered with two good answers :p

Thanks for two great answers that cover moste of want I want to achieve. What I don't want to do is to go down the road with template edits. I want to keep xenForo "as is" without any edits. Maybe I mixed the cards up for you a little bit before regarding the custom fields.

If I choose to import from vBulletin I would want to transfer as much info as I can from those custom fields to the fields that come with xenForo. When that is done I might as well just get rid of them because there wouldn't really be any point in hiding them, would there? :)

Jake, you link to the SQL query seems to do the job with some modifications:

If you end up with duplicate fields then a query is possible. Here is an example:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-for-gender-how-to-combine.21334/#post-271012
Right now I think it is location and gender that needs to be moved when the import from vBulletin is completed.

Top Bottom