XF 1.2 How to moderate first posts of some users

PaulineK

Some new users are put into "users awaiting approval" by the spam filters, but I am not sure they are spammers, so I would like to set their user permissions so that their posts are moderated. This way I can watch their posts and when I decide they are not a spammer, I can change them to a regular user.

I read your section on user group promotions, but am not sure how to use it for this purpose.

It is explained how to do it in the manual here: http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

In summary:
  • Set the Registered user group to have posts moderated
  • Create a new user group which does not have posts moderated
  • Create a user group promotion to add members to the new user group after x posts
If you are manually managing each user then do not create the promotion and just add them to the new user group as a secondary.

Specifically, it is the usergroup permission: Follow message moderation rules

Set this to Not Set (No) to put people's posts in the moderation queue.

To make sure I understand - I create a new user group "New members being watched", set "Follow message moderation rules" to no, and manually add my possible spammers to that group. This will let me moderate their posts and when I decide they are not a spammer, I manually move them to the "Registered" group.

I don't want first posts for all users to be moderated, just those users that the spam filter catches and puts in the "Users Awaiting Approval" list.

I will give it a try.

Thanks, I did that. Do settings in the secondary user group override those in the primary group? So if secondary says I moderate their posts, that is what happens?

Set registered group (default group) to be moderated.
Add a user group promotion to "verified" or some other named group - which is not moderated - to be applied after two posts.

See screen shots below.

Yes, the new group overrides the old. If a member acts up and I uncheck the verified, their posts are moderated again until I manually check it (assuming they are past the two original messages).
Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 8.55.08 AM.webp Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 8.54.58 AM.webp

Top Bottom